PDA

View Full Version : Tires?- Industrial or Ag

CaveCreekRich
06-10-2011, 03:36 PM
What tires are most folks running. I will be tending an vineyard and large 2 acre garden plot so some tilling down the road. I also need to maintain a 1/4 mile dirt road. Can I get by with Ind. tires for the garden. I know mud would be an issue but can probably stay away from tilling in super wet conditions and I thought the Ag tires will leave a bigger footprint every where else.

Erik
06-10-2011, 07:49 PM
ag tires have better traction, industrial are wider and more puncture resistant.
I have industrial tires on my 35 hp machine and have still succeeded in puncturing one - and can't imagine how many flats I'd have if I was running ag tires thanks to all the honey locust on my place.

BigAl
06-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I use R-4's on my Tractor and love them . Extra wide and I think they help to get me across soft spots . I will use nothing else .

urednecku
06-11-2011, 10:29 AM
When trying my tractor (M7040 Kubota) before I purchased it, it had the industrial on it. I also tried the M6040 with the ag tires, and there was no comparison. In a small spot of mud, all it would do was sit in one place & spin, until it went in 4WD. The ag's never slowed down, in 2WD. But yes, they do make tracks much worse in the turf, especially in 4WD.
IF POSSIBLE, try similar-sized tractors in similar type ground you will be working in with each tire-- it depends on where you stand with the trade-off between traction & smooth turf.

rj's barn
06-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I have a Bota L3400 with industrial tread. I love em for mowing , dirt, gravel, and light duty work but pulling a disk or a flipping plow or any kind of heavy ground engaging implement you want ag tread.

shvl73
06-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Industrials here & have had good luck with them. Mud & snow have been ok. i have only been (somewhat) stuck when I bottom out in the snow. i would think different brands/models with different weight/tire footprint will play a role in how it goes in the tough stuff. I've had my front axle in the mud & still gotten through, though barely. I've been told ag tires are available in similar ply ratings, so puncture resistance should be similar also, though they might not be standard on the lot at a dealer.
I can drive across most areas of wet grass once, without ruining it, though multiple trips will still ruin the area with the industrial tread.

bczoom
06-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Your chores listed don't sound like they're places that would get damaged running ag tires. If you mentioned mowing or something, I'd go with the R4's but for what you've listed, I'd probably go with the R1's (ag).