2040 hyd problems

cadetwillys

Hello Gang...I have a hyd problem with my 2040.While running my bush hog I hit a stump and sheered a pin.I raised the hog and went to the house and lowered the hog..replaced the pin but when I tryed the lift it would not raise and the power steering was also not working.I have replaced filter,cleaned screen,removed all check valves on the outside of the tractor per the maint. manual.All look good with no metal or damage.The hyd fluid looked a little milky but was clean.Have not run a pressure or flow check...Thats next....No unusual noise anywhere.Questions are ...where to look next...how do you get to the trans. pump...Where would you look 1st for a cracked or broken line inside the tractor.......Thanks.........PS....This is a OPEN system........Got to know that on this model tractor........Thanks again.......Barry.......

doug56

2040 hyd

Hi you wont believe this but i just had the exact same problem. I replaced the front pump to no avail. Am now thinking i need to split tractor and look at the internal pump. Big job. must be a coupling or? that broke Has to be something to do with pto shaft as I hear a clickin sound now. Have you had any responses? please advise thank you

greenacresstud

Remotes question from NZ

We too have a 2040 here in NZ, but our problem is very slow remotes. Has a front end loader also, and that works great, no problem with anything else just very slow remotes. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can inform our mechanic on something to look for, as he has spoken with mechanics here in NZ and so far had no joy.

cadetwillys

Hello Doug and Green.Thanks for the replys...Heres where I am at present...Got back home this weekend and checked the surge vlv and pulled the rock shaft cover and looked around inside the transmission.All looked good except for part of a spring we found in the bucket of hyd oil.This appears to be from the lift handle in the top of the rock shaft assembly and is not the problem.We have no noise in the transmission or the from the pump.Heres whats next for us in two weeks.......Thats when I get back home.....Dang old job.....Pull a flow rate on the transmission pump..I feel this is where the problem will will be ...because...the lift did raise one time after the sheered pin in the b-hog...Thinking there was just enough hyd oil in the line for one lift...also the pump did cavite durning the last lift...Will let yall know what we find out down here in N.C. .. P.S. Hope to post some pictures of the transmission pump and what we find...This trans pmp is one of the few things I have seen that has almost no pictures on the internet...or...in a JD shop manual......%^&$...SEE YA....Barry

jd110

I am wondering if your pto still runs? Since you hit something and sheared a pin in the mower, it could have also sheared some rivets off in clutch disk - especially if they were worn/loose before. (I am assuming you have a 2 stage clutch?) On a 2 stage clutch, the pto clutch drives the transmission pump. Can you look in the 3 inch hole(remove tin plug) in left side of clutch housing and see if the shaft is turning?

cadetwillys

Hello JD110..Thats one of the 1st things we checked....PTO is a turning freely when disengaged and locked in tight when engaged.The sliding collar in the transmission that engages the PTO looks good ...Also drive shaft from motor to pump in the front of the tractor is AOK.....The tractor does have a 2 stage clutch....Cant wait to get home and run a flow check on the tranny pump....I have given this deal a lot of thought and keep coming back to the transmisson pump...In my weak mind.....

cadetwillys

Hello JD110..Thats one of the 1st things we checked....PTO is a turning freely when disengaged and locked in tight when engaged.The sliding collar in the transmission that engages the PTO looks good ...Also drive shaft from motor to pump in the front of the tractor is AOK.....The tractor does have a 2 stage clutch....Cant wait to get home and run a flow check on the tranny pump....I have given this deal a lot of thought and keep coming back to the transmisson pump...In my weak mind.....
.......Got to check the flow rate on the 2040 this weekend....Not a drop....Looks like will get to pull her apart next trip home.....Will let all know what we find....Barry

cadetwillys

Problem Found......

Got the Deere pulled apart this weekend...The transmission pump gear driven by the pto shaft was in many pieces....Looks like a new pump and we will be back in the game.....Barry

cadetwillys

Hi you wont believe this but i just had the exact same problem. I replaced the front pump to no avail. Am now thinking i need to split tractor and look at the internal pump. Big job. must be a coupling or? that broke Has to be something to do with pto shaft as I hear a clickin sound now. Have you had any responses? please advise thank you

Got the Deere pulled apart this weekend...The transmission pump gear driven by the pto shaft was in many pieces....Looks like a new pump and we will be back in the game.....Dont think I would run the tractor .... You could end up hurting that new pump...Good Luck Barry