Waiting for the Tractor Doctor

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Started the L3400 this morning to move some horse poop.

Got sprayed with hydraulic oil from a split hose buried under the dash :eek:

The dealer is picking it up Tuesday. They said it should only take a couple of days.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I thought I might blow a hose last week brush hogging. how long do hydraulic lines usually last?
I would have thought an on sight repair would be easier for the tractor shop if it's just a hydraulic line replacement.

urednecku

I thought I might blow a hose last week brush hogging. how long do hydraulic lines usually last?
I would have thought an on sight repair would be easier for the tractor shop if it's just a hydraulic line replacement.

But if they fix it in the field, you can see how easy it is to fix, and they can't charge ya as much.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hydraulic hoses, if they are accessible, are pretty simple to replace yourself. I take mine to the hydraulic shop in town to have them make a duplicate. They average $25 and I'm back in service in about an hour.

As for age - most of the hoses on my loader and backhoe are original and they are near 30 years old. I replaced two on the loader that were sweating. Additionally I've replaced 3 that I snagged while rasseling with downed trees, but that was premature death due to owner abuse, not age.

Be sure to specify 2-ply for any replacement hose. That second layer of wire braid vastly improves service life.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I got free pick up and delivery in the deal when I bought the tractor.

I also have an internal problem with the 3 point hitch they are going to fix.

I wish the hoses had lasted 30 years, it's less than 2 years old and about 100 hours. I can see both ends of the hose but there is a LOT of stuff in the way to get to the fittings on either end. Looks like they held this hose up and assembled the tractor around it :pat:

Jim

Mith

They sure don't design machines these days to be easy to repair. You'd think that they would make perishable items like hydraulic hoses easy to get to.

Working on a 5 gang fairway mower the other day (in the middle of a golf course with golf balls flying overhead), the main fuel line actually went through the chassis. Seriously, how do they expect anyone to even inspect it, let alone replace it!

I have some original hydraulic hoses on my old JD2640...30+ years...and still working...:D

Actually, if they have a complete hydraulic hose building setup in their shop...they tend to want to do it there...I tore a hydraulic line on my haybine...and was told it would be faster and cheaper if I removed the line IN THE FIELD...drive it to their JD AG Shop and wait...20 minutes later I was driving back to the field to install the new line...:D