Tired of Blue

HayMann

I am new to this forumn but need some advice. Here is my story:

I decided about 4 years ago to try my hand in farming. I live in MT and hay prices were getting crazy so I thought I can do this myself. I bought some equipment which included a 2008 NH TD95D. Everything went pretty well the first couple of years and then last year things went to crap. The clutch went out, two weeks out of warranty, bracket broke on air conditioner, hydraulic line broke, the list goes on and on. The dealer is telling me I bought an entry level tractor and these problems are going to happen for what I am doing.( I cut about 100 acres of hay twice a year and plow some snow in the winter.) This year I have had even more problems. The dealer says he will stand by his equipment but I need to move into a 6000 series New Holland to the tune of 65 to 70 K depending on options.

I would like some advice from some folks that have been doing this longer and are familiar with some of the newer equipment. I hear from a lot of folks that I need to buy a John Deere and all my problems will be solved. All I know about the Green tractors is they seem to cost a lot more.

I have another dealer (who I bought some other equipment from) telling me his Massey Ferguson is the way to go. But I have heard they have their issues as well.

I am going to get rid of my NH, What should I buy???????????????

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to net tractor talk Hayman. Sorry about your bad luck with NH.
A dealer like yours would frustrate me to no end.

I wanted to buy green but it was so much more expensive that I went orange. I bought a new Kubota L3010 in 2002 and it has been fantastic. I do not do near the work you do though. I'm a hobby farmer, bush hog 5 - 10 acres plus trails for my ATV.

I would recommend you sit in as many seats as you can and talk to the dealers to get a feel how they operate. When buying a tractor you also end up in a long term relationship with the dealer who sells it to you. While you can never be 100% sure of the dealer, your gut will give you a good indication if he is a guy you'll want to deal with over the years. Check out the service area and ask questions. Get a feel for how he operates. The more seats and colors you sit in and operate the better choice you'll make for your next tractor. I would check out green for sure but also check out Kubota, Massey Ferguson and Mahindra to name a few. None of them are perfect and that is why a solid dealer to stand behind whatever you purchase.
Sorry I can't simply name the one tractor that would be perfect for you but honestly I simply don't know the answer.

urednecku

I'm a believer that most, like cars, make good ones and lemons. Like Doc, I looked at JD, but went with a Kubota because it was delivered, with a front end loader and sun-roof, for the same price as a 'base' model green one. I drove about 60 miles to buy, because I spent 20 minutes at the local 'bota dealer and never saw a sales rep., after the receptionist said he would 'be right out'. (I found out later this dealer has a reputation for doing that, so I have no idea how he stays in business!)
A good dealer will let you drive one around and get used to it to figure out what what you do and do not like.

Good luck!

jd110

I'll start off by saying I am partial to JD. But any of the major brands make good equipment. The JD costs a little more up front, but it also holds resale value better than any brand. The repair parts availability is second to none. And believe it or not, cost of repair parts is cheaper than alot of other brands. There are several levels of models to choose from in the hp range you have so consider all the options.
With all that said, the main thing is to find a dealer you can trust regardless of brand. Test drive the different models and choose one that fits you and your operation. Ease of reaching all controls and having safety features that work for you and not against you. In the end, only you can choose the best model for you. Good Luck!

caseihagtech

So did your dealer do anything at all for you with the failures shortly after the warranty expired? Hope so they should be able to do some sort of a
"policy" adjustment. It does sound like for your applications a larger tractor would be in order.Hope things get sorted out for you.If you are looking a tractor to find would be a 5240 Case IH tractor. We have one and have over 10,000hrs. Had to do the powershift at about 8500 hrs. Only due being started on to many -30 days.The 5200 series tractor are older, early 90's. Run around 100hp . Very good all round tractors. Parts still readily available.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We bought our 7210 and 7420 JD's about 6 years ago to replace our only cab tractor-a 4210. They were lease tractors and had been treated wonderfully. Not even much paint was off the clutch. The 7210 had the factory stickers still on the rear window and 78 hrs. We bought the 7420 from a JD dealer up in Mich and saved many thousands over the local pricing even after delivery down here to Ms.

epoxyit

I am looking for a new tractor my self but I would not go with MF. I have found that the manufacture dosen't back the dealer if your lucky enough to find a good dealer. Just to let you guys know. I bought my first tractor in 2007 a MF 593 brand new for my livestock and hay operation. I serviced the unit as recomended and did not abuse the unit. The unit had less than 900 hours when a gear broke in the transmission and it took 3 mounths to obtain parts and have the unit put back together. The tractor was out of warranty so I had to eat a $ 10,000.00 bill. The dealer would only warranty the work for 30 days, so I decieded to trad it in through another MF dealer purchasing a 2680HD which was delivered with factory defects that were discovered in the first week of opperation. Upon notifing the dealer they inform me that I had to deliver the tractor to them. For the deisle leak was so bad I did, so that I could get my hay off the ground. I was told that the other defects would be taken care of at another time and that the dealer would retreive the unit and return it to me. Nearly a year later I had to put presure on AGCO to encurage the dealer to pick up the unit to repair the factory defects. The dealer told me it would take no more than a week to make the repair. It has been nearly 60 days since they have been in possion of the unit. I was told by the dealer last week that the tractor was complete but they had no means of delivering it. Upon fileing many complants with AGCO for a ongoing number of issues I was told by a AGCO costumer rep that it is "normal opperation not to do anything". I am as well done with AGCO, I fell they have no consideration for there customers. As soon as I can obtain the unit I will proceed to trade it in and will forever pass my experiences with AGCO on to others. When I attend the ag shows I will make sure that I spend ample time at the AGCO booths voiceing my oppenion. Now that I am in the market for a new tractor can any one make any recomendations.

sandman

My suggestion is get a 4020 john deere. Sure it's old but fairly bulletproof. We've been farming over 100years with 2 bought new and rebuilt the engines only once in that time. No tyranny issues and very few other problems. Newer tractors just have a lot of unnecessary electronics that's always a problem. For haying they are çheap and reliable with nearly 100hp.