What tools do you carry

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What tools do you carry on your tractor? Do you have a tool box attached? If not where do you carry your stuff?

I have a small built in tool box, but it doesn't carry much more than a pair of channel locks, hammer, spare pins, gloves and a short rope.

Pics of add on tool boxes would be good to see if you have them.

REDDOGTWO

Each tractor usually has a crescent wrench, vice grips and a hammer. The floor of the cab model usually has a variety of misc tools on the floor for whatever implement that I am using that will need adjustments. The NH also has three different nozzles for the big gun irrigation unit for adjustments.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have a canvas zipper bag (Klein Tools) laying on the floor. Crescent wrench with a tapered pin tail, combo fencing tool (hammer, pliers, cutter, staple puller) 4 way combo screwdriver, slip joint pliers, and assorted pins. usually have a long bar and shovel slid into the round cross member on the bucket arms.

Jim

PBinWA

I had a tiny toolbox that came with the tractor but it was too small. I bought a yellow plastic "basic" cheapo toolbox from the hardware store that was big enough to hold two wrenches, pins, bungies, and some pliers. I siliconed the holes around the handle and painted it black and screwed it on. I didn't expect it to last as long as it has but it's been over a year now and it seems to do fine.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
It's amazing what I get in the 4" x 4" x 16" tool box on the tractor .......
Believe me I know, I had it all out today working on the transfer pump on the fuel tank ............. :wink:

14" cresent
10" cresent
14" phillips
8" phillips
8" flat
12" channel locks
6" cutting pliers
10" 1/2" drive ratchet w/ a couple sockets
25' tape measure
Box of .410 3" 7 1/2 shot
tie wraps
various pins, bolts and washers

Got a logging chain on the floor board all the time!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whenever I keep tools on the floor my big feet either knock them off, or they get under my hydro pedal and just get in the way. I would like to carry a chain but don't have a space for it.

BD, what are the 410 shells for? :D

M

mtntopper

A smaller soft face hammer, channel locks, two screwdrivers, crescent wrench, roll of paper towels, bungee cords, and regular pliers for now. The Kubota tool box is small. I need to look for some additional area for holding a water bottle, junk/tools that will be needed and maybe even a place for the beer cooler. :thumb: The stock Kubota cup holder only has room for one can cooler and beer.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So Kubota finally started putting on a stock cup holder! :applause:
I don't even have that. I use a huggy and squeeze my drink between the seat and fender well. Usually a bottle of water with a screw off cap, so I don't spill much.

I also keep bungee cords on my ROPS. About 1/2 of the time I have a shovel or some other long handled tool bungeed to it.
I resist the urge to put tools in the bucket. After reading of someone mageling their chain saw because they forgot it was there .... knowing I would probably do the same thing, I try not to use it for a tool hauler. I've even forgot I had the clamp on ball hitch on there. Sure can't dig much with a ball hitch clamped to the front of my FEL. :pat:

Mith

The only tools I carry is the socket and ratchet to adjust the cut height on the batwing, and a roll of duct tape on the PTO lever.
I have lost so many tools putting them in the seat pan and foot wells that I figured I was better off leaving the tools in the workshop so I knew where they were, rather that lose them in a 10 acre field.
I really need a toolbox!

ghautz

My Yanmar has a small box, about 1 1/2" x 3" x 10". Sometimes it has a pair of pliers in it. Usually all I carry is a Leatherman on my belt. The tractor is rarely more than a couple of hundred yards from the shop, so I use Mith's approach and avoid losing tools. It would be handy to attach a shovel somewhere.

Mith

So what do you guys do with this shovel that you all seem to carry?
The only time I need one I am doing a job, so take the trailer with other tools too.
Say if you are mowing a field or something, what would you use a shovel for? :confused:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So what do you guys do with this shovel that you all seem to carry?
The only time I need one I am doing a job, so take the trailer with other tools too.
Say if you are mowing a field or something, what would you use a shovel for? :confused:

For me it is habit more than anything. I don't use mine now when mowing but it is handy to have on other occasions. I'm from Texas and every time I mowed I would find rattle snakes. I used the mower on them most of the time but there were occasions I really needed the shovel. Since we moved to Virginia we haven't had a snake problem.

I notice BD carries shotgun shells but no shotgun. I would rather use the shovel if needed rather than holding the shell in the channel locks and hitting it with a hammer :hide2:

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
U azzwholes, everyone knows you carry the f**kin shells so you don't have to go looking for'em when you grab the gun! :yum:

The gun is always in the same place and never loaded, right beside the front door! All I do is park the tractor right in front of the front porch, step right off the tractor grab the gun and go if'n I need it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The shovel is used when I fill the FEL with dirt and want to unload it into a hole smaller than the FEL could hit. I just shovel out of the FEL. I know I've used the shovel for other things but that's all I can think of for now.

B

bczoom

The shovel is used when I fill the FEL with dirt and want to unload it into a hole smaller than the FEL could hit. I just shovel out of the FEL. I know I've used the shovel for other things but that's all I can think of for now.
The shovel is handy for removing the caked on dirt that seems to stick to the inside corners of the bucket.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump. A couple years have went by.
Wondering what all our new members carry with them.
Also wondering why bczoom's post shows up as a guest. :confused:

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
On the B2400 there is a little tool box under the seat. It's got a pair of pliers, screwdriver, hammer and a length of chain in it. It's also got a length of rope. Bungeed on to the ROP is a shovel and an ax.

The L4740 has the tool box behind the seat in the cab an has basically the same things except that the chain spends most of its time laying on the floor.

I have a limp home philosophy. Have just enough tools to be able to get back to the house where we can fix, totally destroy or dismantle most things. :yum:

I mounted an ammo box behind the seat on my 3215 and the same size box on the fender on the 7520. Carry 2lb sledge, 8" pliers, 10"crescent wrench, 10"punch, extra pins That I have never needed :rolleyes: and a rag or two. Oh and a 3/8" chain with each tractor. Sometimes some snack bars if I remember.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 59
  • P7160001.JPG
    P7160001.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 59