2020 Brake Problem

Uncle Levi

My 2020 will drive for 50-60 feet, then the left brake locks up. It did this yesterday AM, I let it sit for about an hour, it was OK then the same thing happened. It does every time I use it. Neither brake pedal will depress, also. All this has happened since it got cold in ND, which, I'm not sure is coincidence or if there is ice somewhere in the brake system. It's the left wheel only that locks up. Any suggestions to how I might fix this? If you need more info, please ask. Thanks, guys. Mike

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi . Well , I don't know anything about your situation but I will say that a couple of years ago a member had a similar problem on a UTV shifting. Ended up, he had water in the system somewhere and it had frozen. I think it was a Toro UTV or something like that. He warmed it up with a heat gun/light and it acted like it should. Maybe our JD member will see this and chime in. He knows his stuff. Good Luck . bordercollie

jd110

Since this happened only after getting cold, I suspect there is water in the brake system. Do the hydraulics work ok? If water is freezing in the transmission case also, most likely the hydraulics won't work either. Does the oil look ok or is it milky in appearance? If you loosen the bleed screw on top of the axle housings, will the brake pedals push down? If water is freezing behind brake pistons, you could crack the axle housings from excess pressure. My best suggestion would be to get the tractor to a heated garage somewhere to thaw out and see if symptoms go away. If it does, then change transmission oil and filter and also try to flush out brake valve get as much contaminated oil out of brake pistons as possible. It would be necassry to remove axle housings and pull out brake pistons to get 100% out, but flushing it out should be sufficient.