3140 pto clutch

squeals

I recently had the pto clutch and high/low clutch replaced in my open station 3140. I got the bill today from the dealer and was suprised at the number of hours labour. It was way over what I was quoted. How long would an experienced John Deere tech take to do this job? Does the farm equipment industry use flat rate times? If so, does anyone know what it would be to do this job?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Did they give you any reason for being over the quoted price? Something sure does not sound right. Sorry I don't know answer to your question, but I did want to welcome you to our tractor internet forums. I'm glad you found us and decided to join up. :thumb:

If the dealer did not put an explanation on the bill I would call them and ask for one before paying.

jd110

Deere does not use flat rates. On current models they have what is known as MArket Service times. Market Service times are suggested labor times designed to make estimates from, but as with any repair, there a variables that can make the repair more or less than the suggested time. For the 3140, there are no times listed, but from my past experience, I would expect somewhere in the 25 to 30 hour range. But as I said there are always variables. If it has a loader and mounting frames that need removing, that will add time. If tractor has been used in chemicals and all the bolts are badly rusted and twist off, that can mean more time. In our shop, if we run into problems that wil prevent us from doing the job for the estimated time, we will call with updated estimate so you don't have surprises. If they can't provide adequate reason for going over the estimated price, I would ask them serious questions. Parts used to repair can vary alot also. You can't accurately predict what parts need replacing until it is torn down.

squeals

Thanks JD110
I was an automotive mechanic for 8 years so do understand what can happen in regard to things causing you to take extra time. I was quoted 18hrs to do this job and have since called two other John Deere dealers in my area to see what time they would quote and both said 18-19hrs and would stay to that unless unforeseen problems came up. I have spoke with the service manager and he said there were no problems and about the bill and he is looking in to it. Our family has a lot of green iron and have run into this before where we questioned the amount of labour, that is why I got him to quote me before I took it there. I don't have a problem with the parts amount as it was what I expected. I am very suspicious that they are trying to cover some of thier costs on the fact that when I went to pick it up the hydraulics had quit working. As it turns out they had to split it again because an oil line that supplies oil from the trans pump up to the shift cover was not seated properly on first installation and oil pressure pushed it out of place.

P.S. JD110, you must be a JD tech? Have you guys had any trouble with bad head gaskets in the 466?. We have a 4850 that is on its third in obout 1500hrs. The last one only lasted about 350hrs. The techs at our store say that there has been a problem but Deere won't own up to anything. We are getting darn close to going Red or Blue. Not because of problems with Deere, they all have problems, but because of things like this.

jd110

Yes I am a tech. Been at the same dealer for 34 years. We have not seen many 466 head gasket failures. We don't have many 4850's in our area though. The most we have seen is when someone cranks up the power on their 4450 to try and make a 4850 out of it. SOmetimes they crank them up over 200 hp. The cooling system doesn't have enough capacity to handle that much heat and no inter-cooler either. Are you running stock HP on your 4850? There are updated torque procedures for the head bolts and also head bolts should be replaced with flanged head bolts for proper clamping force on gasket. A torque- turn or torque to yield method should be used. Ask your dealer if he has seen dtac solutions 23054, 23022, 49943 or service bulletin 90-4-10-2.

squeals

It sat on the dyno at 225hp when we bought it. It has never been turned up and would expect it to turn that anyway when rated at 192hp. The head was planed at least once and I know the deck was checked at least once. The head bolts were replaced every time and the torque to yeild method was used. This tractor is never even put to work. We have an 8400 that is our main "big tractor". The 4850 pulls a 6x18 plow, a 20' 1590 drill and hauls grain to the elevator 28Mt at a time. This tractor is not over worked. It does alot of work you could do with a 4450. I can check to see about the dtac solutions and service bulletin. Thanks for your responses, much apprecitated.