Help! (removing fuel filter)

dave47111

I need to replace the Fuel filters on my 3505DI. I have tried using a strap wrench to get the cans off but to no avail. anybody got any suggestions. do they unscrew or do I need to go through the top? can't find anything on these anywhere as far as service manuals go. Thanks

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've read on another forum that you can drive a screw driver through the side of it and I guess twist.
I've had to do that with oil filters before. Works like a charm but I had a hard time finally resorting to do it that way. Nothing else worked so ...... I drove a screwdriver through it (both sides, all the way through) and it came right off.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it is the type that unscrews ... This 'Filter Wrench' from HF should do it.

Its made for oil filters but it goes down to 2 inch diameter. Has 12 inch handles for leverage. I bought one because I couldn't get my hand into a tight spot to get a good grip on my Yanmar's fuel filter.

image_17544.jpg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know how that is made but when I tried taking the hyd filter off my Kioti for the first time, I tried everything . I ended up looking at the new one to be sure not to mess anything up and used a sharp utility knife and lightly hammered it around the rubber seal on the one stuck. then the filter wrench allowed it to come off. I think there is a post our our Kioti site about it. edit : http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13978 bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Was it threaded or just anchored with friction/
the oil filter I was talking about was threaded.

If you were asking the original poster, I think he was asking us if we knew which way it went. Like someone else said, get the replacement and that will tell you if it is threaded or not.

Good luck,

dave47111

Found the Owners Manual and got it figured out. You unscrew the bolts through the top of the fuel system that holds them on. Thanks for the help.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wow. That sounds counter-intuitive.

Maybe an apprenticeship working on these is assumed by Mahindra, before taking on a maintenance project.