crazy stud on cover plate TN70A

steamman

Hi I am trying to remove the injector pump but first the cover plate needs to be removed with all bolts removed I have a crazy looking domed looking stud in the place of the bolt holes I bought this tractor new so it came from the factory this way the shop maneul says nothing about it just remove the cover plate. Need help Thanks Matt (tn70a)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a pic? I don't have that tractor but it's common for manufacturers to put a "tamper cap" over one or more of the bolts on the injection pump. Basically, to get to the pump, you have to pull that cap off which can't be done without ruining it. If you took your tractor in for warranty work and they saw that the cap was missing, they know you've been tinkering with the pump and can refuse warranty claims.

If that's what it is, it doesn't do anything for you or the tractor. Just pull it off with a pair of pliers.

Hi I am trying to remove the injector pump but first the cover plate needs to be removed with all bolts removed I have a crazy looking domed looking stud in the place of the bolt holes I bought this tractor new so it came from the factory this way the shop maneul says nothing about it just remove the cover plate. Need help Thanks Matt (tn70a)

Is this the stud your talking about on the cover "Fuel Injection Pump Drive Gears"

The head could be broken off?

imageview.ashx

http://www.messicks.com/NH/16641.aspx&diag=421057&sct=93

steamman

yes that's it I have several all over the tractor all have there heads remover I wonder if it was New Holland policy to do this ? I am the only owner and it went to the dealer for not having 3rd and 7th gear synchro problems when I first bought it. Looks like chisel time unless you have any suggestions A Great Big Thanks Matt

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It seems to me like NH put these on in lieu of the tamper caps. They torque them until the head breaks off making it so you can't get in there. If you do use an easy-out to get those out, I wouldn't be using those type again. I'd just put in the same size bolt without the break-off head.

I myself agree with bczoom about the tamper part. But I think you will need to use a chisel to get them loose at least.
Welding would toast the gasket behind the cover.

They have two other bolts listed to hold that cover on:
hex, M8 x 60, 8.8 & Hex M8 x 25.00mm

imageview.ashx