first posting

smurph

Hi my name is Tim. I could use some advice. I have had a kubota m9000 for four years, but would like to get a new (used) tractor with a cab. I found a JD 6215 I think I really like. It is at the top of my budjet limit and more than a similar sized kubota. Do I save about 8000 and buy kubota or is the JD worth the extra money. Personally I like kubotas, but I have always wanted a John deere because of their sterling reputation.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Tim.

My personal experience is in the smaller tractors (up to about 40HP) but I'll pass on what I hear from the bigger farmers in our area.

Kubota makes a very good tractor in the smaller sizes but for a "farm" tractor, they just don't compete with a Deere in the field.

That said, they must be putting their money where their mouth is since I never see any large Kubota's working the fields.

Since you have 4 years of seat time in your M9000, you know how it works/operates. Can you have that Deere brought to your place for a day so you can do a "demo" with it? You'll then see yourself the differences. If you want the Deere, have a check ready instead of them coming to pick it back up.

Good luck!

smurph

Thanks, I would love to demo a john deere on my place. unfortunately the tractor I am considering is four hours away. I really think your right about a john deere being a better farming tractor. Wish someone with experience with both brands would weigh in their opinion though.

urednecku

Part of the decision to purchase my Kubota M7040 was my BIL. He's taken care of orange groves for years, and used JD. When he got a Kubota, he said he hoped he never got back on a green. My neighbors have 2 or 3 larger 'Botas, and like them. They have enough cattle and orange groves to need, and afford, what they feel is best.
The final straw was the JD dealer. At the time I was looking, they only had a base model in the size I was looking for (65+ hp) on the lot, with no FEL. I had the M7040 delivered to my yard, with the FEL and extra electric thumb control for a claw, for less than 1k difference.
Right now I have 666.4 hours on the clock, and have had no issues so far. Still like it!

If you are serious about that John Deere, they should let you demo it on their place after you drive that far. Call 'em & ask. That's a lot of money to spend and not get to try it on for size & comfort first.

smurph

Thankyou Redneck. I would love to demo the tractor I will check. I hate trying make this decision, especially when I have had a no problems with my Kubota. I think my biggest concern is that I will have some sort of problem with the jd that will cost lots of money and I will think - if I had just stayed with a kubota then...... ( that said I believe I will like the jd better than the Kubota.)

urednecku

Biggest word if the English dictionary.....IF. You can 2nd guess your-self for years...& ya never know till ya try. Been there, done that, & it drove me crazy, too!

GOOD LUCK!