JD 2555 won't move while in gear what happened?

RJC2

I am new to the forum. I have read posts from time to time but ran into a real problem today and need help diagnosing what is wrong with my tractor.

I have an 1987 John Deere 2555 4X4, cab, and was getting ready to pull a fairly decent sized rock out of the field.
I put it in low range, 1st gear and let the clutch out, the slack came out of the chain and it started to pull and then quit pulling. It wouldn't move forward or reverse any gear. It acts like it is trying to move (tries to move a wee little bit) but will not move.
I put it in 4X4 and the front wheels pulled it fine and I drove it to the shed and parked it. Fluid levels are good, the transmission is actually a bit overfull, but no shavings show on the stick when I checked it.
Also, the emergency brake wouldn't hold it unless it was in four wheel drive. The shed is on a slight incline and it started to roll away while in gear with the emergency brake pulled. I put it in 4x4 and it held fine. (I did chock the wheels before leaving)
Well, that is about it. I hope someone can help diagnose this. My stomach is in a knot as this sounds expensive.

jd110

Easiest problem to see and fix would be if the tractor has rack and pinion axles. The hub has a key in it that could have sheared. If hubs are ok or it has flanged axles, then the final drives will need to be removed. The stub axle in one of the final drives may be sheared off. If they are ok, then the problem has to be in the differential. While the final drives are off, then remove the three point housing to access the differential.

RJC2

I just took it to have it repaired. I expect to hear back soon as to what it is. It does have the rack and pinion axles, so that may be in my favor.
Thank you for your help. I will let you know what it is when I find out.
He is also going to adjust the injection pump to give it a bit more power. He said he normally adjusts the 2555 to about 80 PTO horsepower. (He has a dyno to check it).

RJC2

Also, I did notice when I off loaded it from trailer at the repair shop that the right side wheel had moved out to about and inch from the maximum width. The axles where always set about 6 inches in from the max. setting. (even witht the loader bucket)
Would this change be an indicator that the key actually did shear off in the rack and pinion?

jd110

That is very possible. It is definitely an indicator of loose wedges that hold the wheel on the axle. Looseness causes wear on the keyway.