JD 4640 Power Shift, engine runs, no drive, no hydraulics

andersrural

Am about to split this tractor, wondering do I split it behind the engine, or transmission. Should I remove the cab first. Thought to be a stripped key way/ spline in a hydraulic feed pump in the back end. Apparently Quad Range tractors can access this keyway through a plate at the rear of the tractor, power shift models need to be split . I do have a workshop manual, 10000 hours on the clock. Any advice or past experience with this problem would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

jd110

You will need to split behind the engine. I assume your torsional damper in the flywheel is bad. It is basically a clutch disk with damper springs in it that transfers engine power to the transmission. If that is not the problem, then the transmission pump is easily accessible from the same split. Even if you have a problem at the rear split, it is not possible to split there first. There are 2 bolts inside the clutch housing that you need to remove after splitting behind engine in order to make second split.

Attachments

• RP1501_________UN01JAN94.jpg
    RP1501_________UN01JAN94.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 21

andersrural

jd 110 Thanks for the reply. I had not thought about the flywheel being a problem. Am making a stand/ trolley to support the engine assembly during the split, was wondering about any good stand / trolley design ideas that would allow minor adjustment when re- alligning after the repair. Thanks Regards

jd110

Stands like these work well to support engine. They have screw adjusters on three points.

Attachments

• cspix11.jpg
    cspix11.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Doc