First rain since March 15!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wow! I had forgotten what rain is. The TV said the last measurable rainfall here was on March 15. This is October.

Friday evening an actual rainstorm came in from the Pacific. This is a tiny one, 4/10 of an inch and hardly any wind, but the rain sure sounds good. California is below normal rainfall over the past 12 months so every little bit helps.

Fall is finally here.

N

Nicahawk

Wow...that's a long stretch with no rain. :eek: Glad you got some. :letitsnow:, or rain!

Maybe the weather pattern will change for your part of our country, and for the good!

ghautz

CA said:
"Wow! I had forgotten what rain is. The TV said the last measurable rainfall here was on March 15. This is October."

That sounds typical of Arizona. Your storm is just moving into our area. I saw some sprinkles on a window a few minutes ago. The forecast is for up to 1/4" last I heard.

quincy

Sheesh, we've had practically nothing BUT rain over here. Probably one of the wettest years in recorded history. I wish I could sent a bunch of it your way, would gladly swop it for a week or two of dry weather.

olcowhand

We've had little rain all summer long. Even the weeds were 75% dead. Pulled out a half decent silage crop, but waaay short of what it should have made. After getting no more than 2" rain all summer in small increments last night we got a full 2" rain!!!!!!!! Too late for any crops, but at least now we can drill the winter wheat in. Pasture might get a little regrowth, but not really in time to do much. Pasture was completely burned to the ground, nothing left but dried weeds. The grass has actually greened a slight bit already though. If nothing else it raises one's morale.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats CA. Sure sounds like you needed it bad. How are your orchards fairing in this dry spell?

We've had the same weather as Olecowhand ... very dry. We've had some light rains but very little to speak of since July.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Congrats CA. Sure sounds like you needed it bad. How are your orchards fairing in this dry spell?
Thanks.

A dry summer is normal for California, with no rain usually until about the time that the kids go back to school.

The state runs on snowpack from the Sierras and Cascades, distributed by modern reservoirs and aqueducts. We started this year with a less than average snowpack so we're going into next year with the reservoirs below normal. We're hoping for lots of snow this winter!

In the microclimate where I am, fog comes in from the ocean (10 miles west) about 200 nights per year, so these apple orchards are dry-farmed. The trees apparently get much of their moisture out of the air. I've read this is unusual for fruit trees.

Despite the state water situation, my apple harvest was above average this year.

P1140152rGoldDelToHarvest.jpg