JD 790 hydraulic extension

RussHesch

My JD 790 tractor [LV0790G296509] has a factory installed SCV for the FEL. I want to use a 3-point log splitter attachment. Where do I connect the hydraulic lines with quick disconnects to the hydraulic system on this tractor?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Russ. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us.

Hoping our JD folks will pop in anytime and answer your question. It is a holiday week / deer hunting week (at least in my neck of the woods) so it might take a little longer than usual.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Hmmm. My knowledge of hydraulics is that I can connect the parts (when marked) and spell it correctly at times so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I'd think the SCV in its "neutral" position is no-flow anywhere, those 4 hose connects in front of your left foot where the FEL connections are made to the tractor are also not flowing.

I'm thinking another pump or something may be needed (but again, I know very little about hydraulic systems).

Do you already have the splitter? If not, here's my thoughts on why I avoid a hyd. splitter off my tractor.
- I'd rather rack up the hours on a 6HP Briggs & Stratton than to run my tractor at high (near PTO level) RPM's for long durations. A 250 hour maintenance on a little motor is a quart of oil. A lot more on the 790.
- When splitting wood, I'd rather have my tractor available for other things like dragging logs or pulling trailers to the splitting location.
- Resale (as a percentage of original purchase price) seems higher on a stand-alone unit with its own motor since the average joe can use it. Not so on a hydraulic driven.

jd110

You should have a power beyond kit installed on your tractor for a log splitter. BM18005. It is possible to connect to one of the loader couplers, but you need to tie the lever in position to get flow and there is restriction in flow through the valve, so the splitter will work slower.

RussHesch

You should have a power beyond kit installed on your tractor for a log splitter. BM18005. It is possible to connect to one of the loader couplers, but you need to tie the lever in position to get flow and there is restriction in flow through the valve, so the splitter will work slower.

Using the loader couplers, Does the "regen" circuit need to be operative or locked out?