Yanmar

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been shopping a small used diesel tractor w/hydraulics (3 point) for the wife. We were shopping porch rockers last weekend in Amish Country and I saw a Yanmar 186D 4WD, vintage mid 1980's. Man was I impressed with this tractor, 18HP, 4WD, 3 range, 3 speed (9 total forward).

Well needless to say it's sparked my interest in Yanmar! All I've read so far for these tractors has mostly been very good. Found this one on Ebay but it is 2WD.

Anyone have one? They seem top be pretty scarce. Any thing between 14-20HP is my interest. Give me to goods on Yanmar guys!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yanmar makes the engines for the John Deere compact utility tractors. I think that's quite a feather in their cap. It's like you are getting a JD for a discount price.
Sounds like it would be perfect for your wife. Is her birthday coming up soon? :D

Mith

BD, I thought I would add the information to this thread to keep it in 1 place

Yanmar is a good solid make, as Doc said they make the smaller engines for JD.
In my opinion you would be best to avoid the imported grey market and Vietnam rebuilds.

Below is a list of the US model Yanmars in the size you are looking at, parts etc should be pretty easy to find for them. As far as I know the list is correct.
The D in the model number signifies 4WD, the first 2 numbers indicate HP.

GT14, YM122, YM135, YM135D, YM140, YM140D, YM146, YM147, YM147D, YM155, YM155D, YM165, YM165D, YM169, YM169D, YM180, YM180D, YM186m YM186D, YM187, YM187D, YM195, YM195D

I used to have a Kubota in the size you are looking at. They really are a mini tractor. Something I would mention is that they are heavy, they don't turn too sharp, and they don't have all the fancy features of the new sub-cuts and compacts. They are very strong.

That one on ebay looks real nice. If you are wanting to use it on turf those tyres are a real bonus!

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Nope, we bought a TSC Huskee on a three year plan. Meaning I figured it'd last that long. It has been a great mower and works great but I want to get her a 3 point for implements. She's intimidated by the Yote and we wanna get her one more her size so she can do blading and raking too.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Big Dog,
I had a YM1700 (grey market) for my first tractor. Very nice for the jobs I needed it for at the time. The three digit tractors are the ones sold here new in the US. The four digit are imported greys. Nothing wrong with them, but Yanmar will not support parts because of lack of US safety features, mostly. There are so many aftermarket parts for the greys, I would buy one again.

Now, the three digit tractors, that is engine HP if I remember correctly. The four digit ones are PTO HP. Hence a 186 would be 18 engine HP and about 15 PTO HP.

ghautz

From what I gather from the biggest Yanmar forum (on another tractor site) parts for most gray market Yanmars are easier to get than for the US market models. At any rate, I have had no problems finding parts for my YM1500D. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Yanmar, but would research carefully which models are preferable and, probably more importantly, which dealer to purchase from.

Last edited:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
... saw a Yanmar 186D 4WD, vintage mid 1980's. Man was I impressed with this tractor ... it's sparked my interest in Yanmar! All I've read so far for these tractors has mostly been very good. Anyone have one?
They are impressive. Think the 'Toyota' of the small tractor world. Totally bulletproof.

I have a YM240, one size larger than you asked about. This is the US-market twin to the gray market YM2000, which is the tractor with the best parts support of any gray-market. They are like early VWs, CJ jeeps etc with aftermarket parts support that will be available for years to come.

My US-version Yanmar was neglected and looks it, but aside from appearance it seems to be like new. When I got it the loader bolts were loose, the fuel was like mud, and the idiot lights were dangling by my feet. A couple of weekends tinkering and a couple hundred $ renovation (battery, dash lights and headlights, fluids change etc) and it hasn't needed anything since beyond normal 50 hour servicing. It starts instantly and runs like new.

My photos usually show it in use, rather than showing off the spring wax job like some people we know. :mrgreen: This photo below shows a 3-point backhoe (Kubota K-650) I just found for it. This is the right size and was made in the US for Kubota around 1980, so its generic in contrast to the proprietary stuff Kubota offered later. This does a great job of removing stumps in the orchard.

The Yanmars sold by Yanmar Corp - USA are rare. Deere soon contracted them to build for Deere and cease US sales. I like to think my model was the one that impressed Deere into forming that contract!

Presently the gray market Yanmars outnumber the legitimate imports by some large multiple - 50:1???. There have been large numbers of good used tractors brought over but also some are repainted in Vietnam so beware. I think for most, the condition under that nice paint is about comparable to mine but some of the VN "factory rebuilt" units can be repainted junkers. Japan sells *NO* parts to VN so apparently any rebuilding is done with handmade parts. Buyer beware if you see flawless paint on a 25 - 30 year old Yanmar.

Buy from a dealer-importer who offers support if you aren't comfortable dong your own service work since Yanmar-USA no longer has dealers and Deere won't touch them. The largest parts sources are Hoye Tractor in Texas and Fredricks Equipment in Alabama.

Aint she purty?!

P1120068rDigStump.jpg

Mark777

................In my opinion you would be best to avoid the imported grey market and Vietnam rebuilds............

Respectfully Mith, I disagree. Not about the Vietnam tractors, but the Yanmar gray market ones.

I would have probably agreed with you 5-6 years ago, but so much has changed. Mostly the recognized dealers are bringing in ONLY the most popular and best parts supported tractors that were proven by the farmers in Japan. And still most with less than 1000 hours.

There have been some very savvy business people that capitalized on the needs of many small property owners in the last few years. I, like many, was looking for a good diesel tractor, that had low hours, 3PH, 4WD, good parts support and something in a realistic price range. I couldn't find a tractor with an American badge with similar hours and options for at least twice the price of the Yanmar. And I looked very hard for a full year. Everything here was twice the price...or with 5-6K hours and worn out and in need of repair or overhaul.

(in my opinion :))

Mark