mccormick 15-30 governor screwed up, please help

Matthew Maiers

ive been working on a friend of mines mccormick deering 15-30. so i go out to it, clean the points clean the plugs, put some some gas in it etc. and with a little ether she fires right up, but it wont come off idle. so we take apart the governor linkage and realize that the governor is trying to turn the the throttle the wrong way, thus keeping it closed. so i assumed somone had installed the throttle plate the wrong way. but i took the carburetor apart and found that it is cast in such a way that the rotation of the throttle shaft cannot be changed. so im back to the drawing board, and im very confused, the motion in the governor cant be changed, and the rotation of the throttle cant be changed. would somone please help me, im pullin my friggin hair out here.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Has the throttle linkage been installed wrong?

BTW, welcome to NTT, glad you found us.

Matthew Maiers

no, from the drivers seat the gov. is on the right side of the engine and in the front. a rod comes out and goes directly to the left side, then it then it connects to a lever which transfers it to rotational motion. the shaft connected to the lever goes along the left side of the engine and connects directly to the throttle shaft. all of the linkage is is enclosed and because of it the lever cannot be "flipped" to change rotation of the the gov. shaft.

the governor setup appears to be a scaled up version of the one on an IH f-20.

one person reccomended flipping the governors ball assy the other way to change the movement of the governor, but that seems a little far fetched.

the mind boggeling thing is everything is keyed and cotter pinned, so that nothing can be put together wrong.