Not raising hogs

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dear Sir:

My friend, Ed Peterson, over at Wells, Iowa, received a check for $1,000.00 from the government for not raising hogs. So, I want to go into the "not raising hogs" business next year. What I want to know is, in your opinion, what is the best kind of farm not to raise hogs on, and what is the best breed of hogs not to raise?

I want to be sure that I approach this endeavor in keeping with all government policies. I would prefer not to raise Razorbacks, but if that is not a good breed not to raise, then I will just as gladly not raise Yorkshires or Durocs. As I see it, the hardest part of this program will be keeping an accurate inventory of how many hogs I haven't raised.

My friend, Peterson, is very joyful about the futures of the business. He has been raising hogs for twenty years or so, and the best he ever made on them was $422.00 in 1968, until this year, when he got your check for $1000.00 for not raising hogs. If I get $1,000.00 for not raising 50 hogs, will I get $2,000. for not raising 100 hogs?

I plan to operate on a small scale at first, holding myself down to about 4,000 hogs not raised, which will mean about $80,000.00 for the first year. Then I can afford an airplane.

Now another thing, these hogs that I will not raise, will not eat 100,000 bushels of corn. I understand that you pay farmers not to raise corn and wheat. Will I qualify for payments for not raising corn and wheat not to feed the 4,000 hogs I am not going to raise?

Also, I am considering the "not milking cows" business, so send me any information you have on that also.

In view of these circumstances, you understand that I will be totally unemployed and plan to file for unemployment and food stamps. Be assured you will have my vote in the coming election.

Patriotically yours:

P.S. Would you please notify me when you plan to distribute more free cheese??

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey I could not raise 4000 hogs too. Heck I could not raise 5000. :D :yum:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hey I could not raise 4000 hogs too. Heck I could not raise 5000. :D :yum:

That's what I was thinking, not raising 5,000 of them. The other good thing is that would qualify us for the ag land use exemption and save a lot on property tax.

Jim

J

johnday

Ahhhummm, I wonder if that would apply to sheep as well. Would be a lonely existence though.:pat::shock::beer:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhhummm, I wonder if that would apply to sheep as well. Would be a lonely existence though.:pat::shock::beer:

Maybe you could not raise 4988 sheep ....and keep 12 or so around so as you don't get lonely. :D
Always glad to help out John. :beer: :D

J

johnday

Maybe you could not raise 4988 sheep ....and keep 12 or so around so as you don't get lonely. :D
Always glad to help out John. :beer: :D

Capital idea!!! I could hide 'em out in the swamp, eh?:tiphat::beer:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

John, you are in a unique situation. If I were you, I would not raise both hogs and sheep! :hide: