Got most my wood done

Mith

With energy prices being what they are I'm glad I dont rely completely on gas/oil for heating.
Finally pulled my finger out and split the wood for next autumn. A good few months wood there in the pile I'd reckon, maybe even enough for all next winter. When we were 100% wood heat that pile would have been gone in a few weeks to a month.
I've been planning on building a splitter, but I'll never get round to it this winter, so I broke out the trusty axe. Mostly easy chestnut, a few with knots. Some sycamore. Main issue was the size of the wood, 18-36" diameter blocks, had to put some in half to lift them. They were cut last spring, so they will be dry enough next winter.
Pile is about 6' tall and a fair walk around, the slices are about 12-18" long. Few more rounds to split as you can see in the right of the pic.

Image145.jpg

Image144.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No action shots Mith? :D Boy,. you'll sure work up a sweat spiting that much wood. Nice job! :thumb:

Mith

Y'know Doc, when I took my boots off they were steaming inside, so nice and sweaty :D
It wasnt so much above freezing this morning, well, so I'm told, got up about 10ish (ahem, late night), still a bit nippy while I was working during the day though.

N

Nicahawk

Good job Mith. When I lived in Tenn I heated my house with wood for about 10 years. Had a heat pump but seldom used it. Love the smell of a house with wood heat, and the heat seems more intence or something. Just seems warmer.

Good post.

Mith

Nica, you know, I'd swear it is warmer in a wood heated house as you say.
Does mean however that you cant have a clean house, dust and dirt everywhere. We used to have a wood burner in the kitchen (cooked on it too), the kitchen was practically full of wood. Mud etc everywhere. But thats how I like it :D

urednecku

Nica, you know, I'd swear it is warmer in a wood heated house as you say.
Does mean however that you cant have a clean house, dust and dirt everywhere. We used to have a wood burner in the kitchen (cooked on it too), the kitchen was practically full of wood. Mud etc everywhere. But thats how I like it :D

Sounds like a "LIVED IN" house to me!!

jbrumberg

Wood heat warms one many times over :rolleyes:- finding it, cutting it, moving it, cutting it again, splitting it, stacking it, moving it again, and then burning it; but nothing beats the warmth of a woodstove:mrgreen:. The last two NE ice storms will provide me with about a year's worth of heat :thumb:. Jay :letitsnow: