Fixing radiator

Mith

The radiator on one of the tractors has several cracks in the top of the radiator, above the water line. At some point its been bashed on top.
It doesn't leak coolant, but it doesn't build pressure.

Just wondering how feasible it is to braze, tig weld, or solder the cracks up. I think its possibly brass, but maybe steel.
New radiator is about £120, which seems pretty reasonable to me. But I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

Any thoughts?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Its probably brass. Solder would be best.

Jim

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Like Jim, I'd try the solder first. That's how they used to repair radiators in the old, old days but you don't hear of anyone doing it now. Perhaps they just replace the whole thing 'cos £120 doesn't sound all that bad. Like you though, I'd rather fix it for a fiver and spend the rest elsewhere.

Mith

Thanks for the input folks. Blowtorch to solder with right or would that be too much heat?

I have been told by a couple of people that its pretty futile trying to repair aged radiators, comments like 'not enough material' and 'plug one and a new one appears' have been said.
Suppose its worth a try, might manage a job good enough to last 'till spring, then try and track down a cheaper radiator at a show.

If you have a hand held propane bottle, torch that will work. Get some flux and some solder I use 50/50 someone will tell you to use another mix, but put some paste on the cracks and heat. when hot clean with a wire brush, reflux heat and apply solder, use only enough heat to melt solder. practice makes perfect. A large area can have a patch sweated on to fix cracks.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i have fixed a few of them and i brased them all i repaired the osses oil pan to br brasing it.