Hard Starting Diesel

shinnlinger

Hi,

my old kubota is really hard to start this winter even though it is only about 20 degrees(as opposed to -20). I have to hook it to the start cart every time and it spins fast but I really have to stay after it, cycling in 10 second intervals 5X or so. I am worried I am going to cook the starter.

I have not changed the fuel filter for the winter and probably will, but the bowl is not visibly gelled. Is it the new low sulfur diesel?

I have never had this much trouble with it.

Mith

Shinn, any smoke while its spinning over?

Just had a kubota in similar to yours that was hard to start. Most noticable was that you had to spin it over a while before white smoke started coming out the exhaust, then shortly after it would fire.
It required new injectors. If the injectors are dirty and not sealing properly then the fuel will leak back down the pipes while it is sitting, therefore when you come to start it up you have to spin it over a while until the fuel reaches the injectors again.

Glow plugs are easy to test, unscrew them from the block, turn them on and they should glow red after about 6-10 seconds.

shinnlinger

Mith,

I like your injector theory. I haven't had working glowplugs in years.

How pain in the butt is an injector change? Should I ATF the fuel tank first???

Mith

Injectors were pretty straight forward.
You can pull them out and then reconnect them to the pump when they are out of the block. Spin the engine over, you should get a nice fine fan pattern out of them, when you've stopped spinning it over have a look at the bottom of the injectors, they should be fairly dry, definitely no drips of fuel on the end.

I'd go through the fuel system first though, deffo the fuel filter, amazing how fast they get full of goo.

How many hours you got on it? This one had ~2k.
Is yours burning any oil? Low compression will make for hard starting.
Why dont you sort the glowplugs out while you are there, much less wear and tear on the engine when starting. The glowplugs themselves are pretty inexpensive and easy to change.

Mark777

A good Cetane booster like Lucas or PowerService works wonders on a diesel fuel system. An excellent aid for hard starting in winter weather...

Funny how you don't actually notice how well it works until you stop using it :D

shinnlinger

HI,

I was away for the holidays, but before I left I did run out to the rig and swap the fuel filter. Go figure, it fired right away even though it was only 15 degrees. I was going to check the glowplugs, but it started so quick and I had some snow to move so I didn't. I do run Howes diesel treat in the winter and I rarely have cloudy fuel at the filter.

Well hopfully for me it was only the filter, but I suppose I should still check the glow plugs (even though the things almost always fires right up without them). Been awhile since diesel 101. FOr an in engine test, any one know how much resitance I should see between the block and the tip of the plug? 0 means plug is junk and low restance is good right??? Too much resistance is a problem too though correct??

THanks for the input folks....

PBinWA

I'll second the vote for the Power Service Additive (The White Bottle). Go heavy on it and let it clean out your system. It has anti-gel and it seems to help with water and crud in the system. I use it religiously every winter.

Also, when starting in the cold weather, I always cycle my Glow-Plugs three times before turning the engine over. My neighbor with a JD was having problems starting and tried my technique and it worked for him too.

Archdean

I agree with PB, not a drop of diesel (winter & summer) goes into to any of my three diesels with out a dose of Power Service Additive!! It's just good stuff Maynard!!:bangin: helps with moisture also (probably the best reason!!) :pat:

Mith

I think you are on the right track there Shinn. Check the voltage across the plugs too, should be full battery voltage or there abouts. If the plugs have blown and shorted they will cause the fuse to blow, hence no voltage.
Hopefully the filter has it sorted for you. Amazing how quickly they fill, I've always wondered why they insist on putting tiny little filters on these engines.

kenmac

Can't beat a good fuel flow. Engines love it..Glad to see you got it going. At 15 deg. I'am sure G.P.'S would help