I need more input

JDM

HELP I am thinking about trading up from a Long 460. :pat: I have a small horse farm in nw Arkansas, www.chiggervillefarm.com, and use the tractor in the day-to-day operation mostly off loading round bales of hay and grading the drive. I am looking at used tractors and found a 545 Farmtrac with low hrs. I understand Farmtrac is out of business, so I am on the fence about purchasing one. What do you folks think? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. JD :pat:

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to NTT,

Well you need to convince me why you'd what to go with the Farmtrac, they are very similar tractors. The HP rating is the same as the Long. Unless the Farmtrac is 4WD I don't see the advantage unless you just want a newer tractor. Might help if you could elaborate on more of the chores the tractor will be put up against. Do you want/need a FEL, implements used, etc...............

Tractor Details for LONG 460 .

Tractor Details On File

Years Made: 1977-1991
Horsepower - PTO: 41.9
Horsepower - Engine:
Horsepower - Drawbar: 37.5
Horsepower - Range: 42
Engine - Make: UTB
Engine - Fuel: DIESEL
Engine - Cyl(s) - CID: /142.8
Transmission - Standard: SG
Optional:
Forward / Reverse Standard: 8/2
Forward / Reverse Optional:
MFWD - Standard / Optional: OPT
Tires Standard - Front:
Tires Standard - Rear:
Wheelbase - Inches: 77
PTO Type: IND
3pt Hitch Cat I: True
3pt Hitch Cat II: True
3pt Hitch Cat III: False
Hitch Lift: 2650
Hydraulics - Type: OPEN
Hydraulics - Cap: 18
Hydraulics - Flow: 5.75
Hydraulics - Standard Outlets: 1
Cooling Capacity: 13.9
Fuel Tank Capacity: 14.3
Cab Standard: OPT
Weight: 4013

Attachments

• 92269077_1thumb_550x410.jpg
    92269077_1thumb_550x410.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 617
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 627

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know anything about Farmtracs, just see a few in use around us. I understand from the other thread that they are out of business but parts are available. That usually means that you do the repair work yourself.

Is the Farmtrac larger and higher horsepowered than the Long? It takes a good bit of muscle if the round bales are full sized ones.

Sorry I'm not much help :pat:

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know anything about Farmtracs, just see a few in use around us. I understand from the other thread that they are out of business but parts are available. That usually means that you do the repair work yourself.

Is the Farmtrac larger and higher horsepowered than the Long? It takes a good bit of muscle if the round bales are full sized ones.

Sorry I'm not much help :pat:

The 460 actually has a little more go!

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Looked at your website, appears you have a nice horse facility.

Back to the tractor ........... As far as the Farmtrac, I wouldn't be too worried about getting engine parts for it but anything outside of the drive train could get problematic. Unless your getting a helluva deal on it, I'd leave it alone.

I have no idea what your budget is but if you really want to upgrade I would set the minimum at ....

• 50hp
  • 4wd
  • Shuttle shift tranny
  • Load the rears for ballast

Recommended upgrades

• FEL
  • Box Blade

JDM

THANKS, folks for the input. I am going to break out my whittling stick and head down to the tractor place and see if I can make a deal. I'll post the results. Thanks JD

JDM

I answered my own question.

Attachments

• FARMTRAC 555 DTC 007.jpg
    FARMTRAC 555 DTC 007.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 2,152
  • FARMTRAC 555 DTC 008.jpg
    FARMTRAC 555 DTC 008.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 611

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is a very nice looking FarmTrac you got there JDM. :thumb: Congrats!!!! :beer:

Mith

Wow, that must be low hours, looks new! Nice tractor. :D

Looks just like a Ford, I wonder if any parts fit over.

JDM

It turns out the tractor is a 555 DTC with 230 hrs and not a 545 DTC. Such an improvement over the old Long. With a round bale on the old Long tractor, I felt out of control. I put out hay today and it was so much fun and I was in 2wd all the time. I guess the new-to-me tractor is better balanced and a bit heavier. Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it very much. You all seem like a bunch of good folks. JD

Mith

The more weight you put on the back the more impressed you will be!

Stick around, the more the merrier :D

JDM

Archdean, I just got a Farmtrac 555 and was wondering if you could find out what napa filters your brother uses on his tractor? I know his is a 550 but they may work for my tractor. THANKS JD