Hard starting - because the 3 point hitch was UP

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is a new one to me.

In five years I've never had trouble starting this elderly Yanmar. Occasionally, I need to find the right throttle position between flooded and lean, but that's about it. That's my sign that it's really winter, time to put some Power Service in the fuel.

This morning after cranking a half turn, it then cranked at half speed. I had done the annual battery service yesterday (hydrometer check, verify clean terminals, topped up the water) then ran it several hours, so this was baffling.

I switched to Plan B: 10 seconds of manifold warmer (thermostart) then crank 10 seconds, then repeat. I always use the Thermostart but I don't remember the last time I had to repeat it. After at least four heat/crank cycles it fired and chugged reluctantly up to idle speed. WTF???

After it was running, the loader was sluggish. A clue! It turned out I left the 3 point hitch in full-up position, with the service valve closed. The starter was not only cranking the engine, it was cranking the hydraulic pump against a dead load, forcing chilled fluid through the overpressure bypass.

Kids, don't try this at home.

What I learned: If it cranks slow, double check that there is no hydraulic-system load on the engine!

Oh well. Just another user-caused anomaly, not a product flaw. It ran great all morning.

Mith

Thats a new one on me, I can see how that would happen though. Definitely one to keep an eye out for.
I'm now thinking back to all the times I've had something turn over sluggishly and thinking if that might have been the reason.
Interesting :thumb:

howierd3866

havn't seen this on any of the newer ones but the older one yes...about 12 years or so ago me and all the other big time agr. guys were in charge of our county fair and the New Holland dealer left a brand new tractor in the way so they call me on the radio..hey tractor man come move this...well new and all would love too everyone else have try but cant get it to start....about an hour later hook a chain to it and move it...next day we ALL ask the dealer seem like this was the first year it came out if you leave the pto in gear will not start...well to this day I use this and another way of keepping my tractors safe on jobs...

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I have noticed that when I leave the detent valve open to my backhoe it labors the tractor start.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't run into that either but I've always used whatever was on the 3 point for a parking brake when I shut down the tractor.

Jim

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Cali, that's interesting. It's never caused me a problem, that I know about, but it's something to keep in mind. Thanks for the info.