Winter wardrobe

chowhound

I had a lightbulb turn on over my head a month ago and I thought I'd share. It's such a rare occasion :shock:

My work takes me outside every day. Probably 60% inside and 40% outside, plus the usual snow clearing and such in winter. Usually I had two ways to dress for this, either put on the LJs, then have to change when I was done for the day and back in my home, which is just a PITA, or put on the insulated carharts. They both worked with faults.... the LJs left my jeans exposed to the snow, and jeans aren't waterproof. Inside, outside, tromping through snow, snow blowing.... pretty much left me walking around with wet jeans after a couple hours. Pretty much the same thing with the carharts, but in their case, by the end of the day I was literally whooped from the weight of them. Especially after the legs started getting wet. And they are a little bit too warm when I was inside. Enter lightbulb.

Ski pants. I went to the local sports store and picked up a pair of Gortex shells, the kind that skiers/snowboarders slip on over their jeans. These things are waterproof, windproof, provide an insulating layer when you're outside and you don't even know you have them on when inside. Plus they weigh about as much as a pen! I can go outside and inside all day long and I feel I'm dressed for both. I'm not dying to get them off when I'm inside and I'm well protected from the winter weather when I'm outside.

I just thought I'd say something. I can't believe I didn't try these out before.

Brutus

My Carharts are my best friend in cold weather. After you wear 'em awhile, you don't really notice. You do, however, feel considerably lighter when ya take 'em off! :wink:

chowhound

For warmth and ruggedness you can't beat Carharts. I knew I wasn't going to be moving from the tractor seat a couple weeks ago and put my Carharts on. If I was going to be working with materials I'd put my Carharts on. But that's about it. They're in the basement and my ski pants shells are on the coat rack.

chowhound

Thanks cj.
I'm still very happy with them and we had temps in the forties three days ago then back into the twenties. They're still the perfect gobetween from inside to outside, no matter the winter temps.

I suspect you folks in Zeli are celebrating still (lol)

cj7

oh yes!!!

still celebrating around here... wife is bigger fan than I am !!!

Happy they won.. keeps here in a good mood!