3PH snowthrower vs 4WD

chowhound

I bought a 3PH snowthrower a month ago or so. Prior to that I cleared snow with a back blade. There are two things I've noticed right off the bat, the steering has gone to hell, and I'm getting "stuck" a lot.
I can't drive from my pole barn around to my driveway (traversing part of my yard that's on a slight incline) without the front of the tractor wanting to "drift" off the trail. You know what I mean.... when the front tires spin and slide instead of biting in and going in the direction you've got them pointed.
And whether I'm in deep snow or on hardpack, the tires are spinning a lot more. Very often with the differential locked, too.
So unless something is broken somewhere, I'm thinking the extra weight of the blower is lightening up the front end enough to reduce the effectiveness of the 4WD in the front.

I suppose I should throw something in the FEL and duplicate conditions to see if that fixes things, but who wants to fart around outside in the winter.... That would let me know if front end weights are needed though..... Unless someone here can say, Yep, noticed the same thing :smile:

urednecku

I've never been in snow, much less moved any of it, but that's what it sounds like to me. Try some weight in the bucket, just to see. Good luck!

chowhound

Yeah... I'll have to find something that isn't buried in snow and put it in there.
Hmmm, I wonder how much a bucket of snow weighs? (lol)