emergency lighting

Erik

the conversations about generators and tornadoes lately had me thinking, then I got an email from Lee Valley tools promoting their emergency light and I thought some of you might be interested in something less than pretty, but very functional and reasonable priced. (I'm ordering 2 - one for the mechanicals room, the other for my "Dorothy" room/tornado shelter)
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,42207,62541&p=62541
$32.50 each with a 20-40 hour run time.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Erik,
Those look like a nice unit. I hadn't seen any yet that had LED's. That's why they can run so long on battery power. Not that bad of a price for what you get. I'd like to see the light output though.

Erik

the light isn't real big - about 5x9 inches.
light output is roughly 25 watt equivalent - or enough to light up our 14x16 storm shelter well enough to play cards so long as you're not facing the thing.
If I was sitting close to it, it'd be good enough to read by.
there is a setting to use it as a night light, or just for power outages. you can unplug it and carry it as a flashlight.
the base is flat enough to set it down so you can use both hands.

nowhere near as bright at the emergency floods at the office, but the 20/40 hour run time beats their 30-45 minutes.

chowhound

Thanks for the review.
I went ahead and purchased a couple emergency lights from Amazon that were rated high, same style. They're enough to see to get around with, but not as bright as I was expecting. I guess you can only expect so much with the long run time.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the review.
I went ahead and purchased a couple emergency lights from Amazon that were rated high, same style. They're enough to see to get around with, but not as bright as I was expecting. I guess you can only expect so much with the long run time.

I think that's their purpose, to give you enough light to be able to move around and find your other, brighter lights. I've never tried the ones with the LEDs but the first two I bought initially ran for about 30 minutes. After being plugged in for a long time without having an outage, the batteries developed a "memory" and would only last a couple of minutes when the power went off. With the two I have now, I unplug them every month or so and let the batteries discharge before plugging them back in. It seems to working so far. I find them useful and the price isn't bad.