Roller cabinets, who has one and are they worth it?

Mith

I'm thinking about getting a roller cabinet stack to store my tools. Just got too many for my current storage boxes (plastic tubs), and it'd be nice to have all the tools in the same place.

Anyway, one caught my eye at the tool shop (I'd swear they are trying to bankrupt me there). Its a fair bit of coin, nice though.

So who has one of those roller cabs, and is it the best thing since sliced bread? Or should I just stick to keeping tools in a variety of plastic tubs?

zionview

I have a small one just for common hand tools. I like being able to move it closer to the job. I'm not sure the gigantic ones are better, at least I can push my small one around fairly easy, and have wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and other heavy-use tools nearby. The shop where I take my vehicles for inspection has probably $8,000 worth of 6 foot high cabinets, but they're so heavy, they never move them.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I have two of the roll arounds. I never move them though. Nice to have everything related in one single drawer so I can grab something easier.

I have a pretty big one I bought at the local pawn shop for a resonable price. If I can find a good used whatever for even 3/4 price I usually buy it instead of new.

B

bczoom

I have several of them but, like Jerry, they're not moved. It's just a nice way to keep things organized.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
I got a great deal on my roll around set at Sears Father's Day sale last year. The contents of two crammed tool boxes plus several loose tools have now been put into my cabinet. I found that logically organizing my tools took up almost all the space in the cabinet, despite the much larger size.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have two, one is the traditional base, center box and top box. the other is a bottom box with a worksurface on it.

The tall box never moves from the wall unless I drop something behind it. :whistle:

I roll the other around the garage and to the tractor shed. It has my most used tools in it.

Jim

Mith

Cheers guys, stopped by and picked one up on sale today. Less than half price.
Now I just got to see if all the tools will fit in it!

Not planning on moving it about much, but I suppose if I need to I should be able to pick it up on the loader forks.

Mark777

Jim,

I bought one a few years ago. I's a nice and tall single box that holds most of my serious wrenches, sockets, air tools and other goodies. The problem is if I open the upper drawers, the tool box is prone to fall forward, and has (twice LOL). This created some serious damage to the drawer fronts and ball bearing slides. I have since removed the bottom wheels and built the base oversize by six additional inches to the front. Problem solved. It now sits peacefully against the machine room on the back wall of the shop. I have purchased a smaller, wider bottom box with a work top as my 'run-around'.

If or when I need another box....it wont be that tall and especially with a narrow depth without extending the existing base.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Mark,
That's the nice part about mine, both are 3 stacked boxes with the top two being not as deep as the bottom box. I don't think if I pulled all the top drawers out it would even think of tipping at all.

Mith

Mark, like Jerry's, the bottom cab on mine is much deeper than the top 2 boxes.
I'll keep an eye on it though, dont want it falling forwards!!

jwstewar

Staff member
I've got something close to this: Craftsman Toolbox except I only have 4 full width drawers on my top box. This started getting pretty full and was having to move stuff around quite a bit. Wasn't really considering getting anything new just yet. But our Lowes had one of these: Kobalt Top Chest with a little tiny dent in the back of it for $250. We were getting a bunch of other stuff so we were going to use a 10% off coupon as well. I ended up picking it up for $225. Set it against the wall. Can't even see the dent.:tiphat: Just need to figure out some place and something to sit it on.

I've also got a huge lateral file cabinet that I keep all of my power tools in. Hopefully when this is all said and done the only tools that will be my table saw, table top drill press, and my 9" bandsaw.

I'm thinking about getting a roller cabinet stack to store my tools. Just got too many for my current storage boxes (plastic tubs), and it'd be nice to have all the tools in the same place.

Anyway, one caught my eye at the tool shop (I'd swear they are trying to bankrupt me there). Its a fair bit of coin, nice though.

So who has one of those roller cabs, and is it the best thing since sliced bread? Or should I just stick to keeping tools in a variety of plastic tubs?

If your barn does NOT have a paved floor...then add these to your tool chest...;)
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200336328_200336328