Craftsman Chainsaw - Fuel Lines

jwstewar

Staff member
Last year my Craftsman (Poulan) chainsaw wouldn't start. I couldn't get fuel to the priming bulb. Didn't mess with it until a couple of weeks ago. I bought new fuel lines, new primer bulb, new intake , fuel filter, and new intake & carb gaskets. The side was broken off the intake and the fuel line with fuel filter attached had broken off so I don't know which line it came off of.

There are 3 fuel lines on it. There are 2 inlets/outlets on the carb and 2 holes in the fuel tank.

One of the holes on the fuel tank is bigger than the other. I know this line connects to the primer bulb. I figure the smaller line on the primer bulb connects to the carb, but I don't know which barb. The other barb on the carb by default then has to go to the smaller hole in the tank.

Now when I bought the parts the guy told me that the little line going to the tank should be long and the fuel filter would attach to it. Not know which it came off of I said OK. I got it all put back together. I pushed the primer bulb several times, but I'm still not getting fuel.

I don't think I have the fuel lines hooked back up right or maybe the fuel filter not on the correct line.

Mith

The primer bulbs generally suck fuel through the carb. So the line from the filter should go into the carb.
The primer bulb will only suck one way, and you can figure that out by seeing which line air blows out of when you press the primer button.
As to which line goes where on the carb, maybe you could take a picture of the carb.

jwstewar

Staff member
Thanks Jim. That makes sense and goes along with what the guy at the parts shop told me (where to put the fuel filter).:tiphat:

Looks like I'll have to connections that I'll need to check. The 2 lines going to the carb. Might have to swap those around. Then on the primer bulb. The old primer bulb had 2 different size barbs on it so you knew what went where. Maybe I'll still it back in temporarily to make sure I get the carb hooked up right.

The other good thing, it looks like I've got the filer on the right line so I don't have to drain the fuel tank.:thumb:

Mith

Jim, often these carbs have covers on both ends. One end will be held on with 4 screws, the other will be held on with either 1 or 2 screws. The fuel pipe on the end with the 1 or 2 screws will most likely be the inlet to the carb, so the line from the tank will go on there.
Yours might be different, but 8 out of 10 will be like that in my experience. Then again, we dont have craftsman stuff over here so they might be different.

jwstewar

Staff member
Took the fuel lines off and checked them and got it all put back together, but I'll be damned if I didn't tighten the carb down too much and broke the intake again.:pat: I was able to get fuel flowing and was able to get it started for a couple of seconds. It would run wide open and as soon as I would unchoke it would die. Couldn't play with the throttle and keep it running, I figure I've got it bound up on something.. I didn't mess with it any more because I figure I'm fighting a losing battle with the broken intake. I'll pick another one up tomorrow and try it again. At least I'm making a little progress.

I think I'm also going to have to head the return fuel line too. I'm getting gas leak out of it because it won't go down into the hole far enough.