Vacation time, what are your plans

Giterdone

Been so long since the wife and I have been away together so we're going to take advantage of a week or so and just drive. All my projects can be put on hold temporarily. Thinking probably down through Washington and then continue south down the coast of Oregon. Been wanting to see the coast south of us for years so off we go. :wave:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds like a good plan. I hope you get plenty of pics and that you will post some of them here for us to savor. :D
I have a week of vacation next month (the 13th). We plan to spend it on the houseboat running the Ohio River. No place in particular for a destination, the boat carries everything we need. So it's a mini adventure.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds like a good plan. I hope you get plenty of pics and that you will post some of them here for us to savor. :D
I have a week of vacation next month (the 13th). We plan to spend it on the houseboat running the Ohio River. No place in particular for a destination, the boat carries everything we need. So it's a mini adventure.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
One week gone on my three month jaunt. I'm only making 100 to 200 miles most days, trying to see everything I can on the way. I'm planning to follow the Missouri up into Montana, then across to Wash/Ore, BC, Northern Calif, and back thru Idaho, Wyo, SD, Colo, Southern KS and MO.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One week gone on my three month jaunt. I'm only making 100 to 200 miles most days, trying to see everything I can on the way. I'm planning to follow the Missouri up into Montana, then across to Wash/Ore, BC, Northern Calif, and back thru Idaho, Wyo, SD, Colo, Southern KS and MO.
Wow, what a trip. Sounds like fun. I hope you'll post some pics also. :thumb: :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, what a trip. Sounds like fun. I hope you'll post some pics also. :thumb: :D

Erik

We went to Branson for a week right after Memorial Day. Then had friends out for most of a week and took them to several "local" wineries, the KC zoo, and did some hiking.

OkeeDon

A couple of weekend RV trips in Florida, then a Celebrity 7 day cruise to Alaska at the end of August. We're departing from Vancouver, but didn't allow any time for visiting on this trip -- we're using something called "US Direct", which is where we fly from the USA to Vancouver, board a bus to the ship and then board the ship, with all the rest of the ports in the USA in Alaska. When we return to Vancouver, we go directly from the ship to the plane.

This means we do not have to go through immigration or customs in Canada, and it also means that our luggage is handled for us from the time we put it on the plane until we see it on the ship, and vice versa.

I've heard Vancouver is a gorgeous city and worth the time to visit, but it will have to wait until the next time. This is a quick anniversary cruise (our 44th), and we booked a Sky suite with a butler to celebrate.

In the Fall, we will join RV friends in Hiawassee, Georgia for a couple of weeks -- an annual traditional trip.

Then, next March is the biggie -- a 14 day transAtlantic on Oceania from Miami to Barcelona, then staying on board for a 10 day cruise from Barcelona to Rome. After a couple of days in Rome, we'll take a Spanish puddle jumper (Vueling Air) back to Barcelona, where we we'll spend a couple of days visiting Tarragona and staying in a Parador, Spanish hotels built into historic castles, before flying back to Miami.

We're buying a round trip ticket from Barcelona to Miami and return, because later that year, we'll be flying back to Barcelona to join Oceania's newest shop, Marina, on her maiden voyage to Miami.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
You guys are making me jealous.

I'm retired so I enjoy what I do staying around the house, playing with my tractors. I used to work internationally for a major oil company so I spent my time flying all over the world. I once had platinum cards on three different airlines at the same time. I've had my fill of foreign travel, airports and foreign hotels, I just want to stay home ... with occasional short trips within the US.

Having said that we are going over to Scotland this fall, for the first time in quite a few years. Usually everybody from over there comes over here. The first great grand baby is due in September and who would miss seeing him/her. It'll be a lot of fun and we are looking forward to what may be our last trip over there.

Erik

Had lunch with Fred today - nice guy.
Went to the local microbrewery for lunch, he was gracious enough to make sure I knew how good the beer he had was while I drank water - because I had to go back to work. :D
With luck, Rback will have time after his ND trip to meet Fred, too. (he'll be in Ks for another few days)
I will definitely do my best to make room in my schedule to meet up with him again on his return leg.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Kewl. thanks for letting us know Eric. Did yall take a pic or two to remember the occasion by?

Erik

Kewl. thanks for letting us know Eric. Did yall take a pic or two to remember the occasion by?

nope.
some say cameras steal your soul - I work for the gov't and don't have enough spare to take that chance. :D

TRO

My wife and I rented a cabin on lake Champlain for the first week of August. Plan to take in the Addison County Fair and look for some land to buy in central Vermont.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Well, my vaction plans have been cut very short. I'm still in Kansas, but I am starting a new job today. I've wanted to be involved with tractors, althugh I didn't have anything bigger than a lawn tractor and no place to use one anyway. Well, I am now going to be a parts counter guy for a tractor dealer here in Kansas, at least for the next few weeks - will have to see how it goes from there. I'm tickled pink, as I love this part of Kansas, and think I'm going to be very happy with the rest of my "retirement"!!

Fred

olcowhand

My vacations are more like most people's weekends, one or 2 days at a time max. Dairy doesn't let you free long at a time. Going to take a couple days soon for wife & I to ride our motorcycle in-state, but that's about it. One of these days though I'm gonna take off and stay gone a few weeks. My son may not like it, but he'll have to get over it. Dad left for a month to go to Alaska several years ago. When I was in my teens, Mom & Dad would leave for 2 weeks at a time. I took care of the dairy. My son is almost 29 and has never been alone taking care of things. When I'm gone, Dad is here & vice-versa. Dad is 83 and will have to slow way down, so my Son will have to cope. A guy's gotta get away sometime. 2 days isn't enough to see any of this country.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, my vaction plans have been cut very short. I'm still in Kansas, but I am starting a new job today. I've wanted to be involved with tractors, althugh I didn't have anything bigger than a lawn tractor and no place to use one anyway. Well, I am now going to be a parts counter guy for a tractor dealer here in Kansas, at least for the next few weeks - will have to see how it goes from there. I'm tickled pink, as I love this part of Kansas, and think I'm going to be very happy with the rest of my "retirement"!!

Fred
Wow! Congrats on that. Sounds like things are working out even better than expected. Kind of reminds me of the old series: "Bronson"
He traveled from town to town and always got pretty interesting jobs.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My vacations are more like most people's weekends, one or 2 days at a time max. Dairy doesn't let you free long at a time. Going to take a couple days soon for wife & I to ride our motorcycle in-state, but that's about it. One of these days though I'm gonna take off and stay gone a few weeks. My son may not like it, but he'll have to get over it. Dad left for a month to go to Alaska several years ago. When I was in my teens, Mom & Dad would leave for 2 weeks at a time. I took care of the dairy. My son is almost 29 and has never been alone taking care of things. When I'm gone, Dad is here & vice-versa. Dad is 83 and will have to slow way down, so my Son will have to cope. A guy's gotta get away sometime. 2 days isn't enough to see any of this country.
I have to agree. Two days just isn't enough. Break him in slow but let him know you are taking a week off. Let him know ahead of time so he'll know and be more ready when the time comes. He'll want a week off to, so turn about is fair play. Good luck. :D

Erik

Fred
which dealer/where?