Where to carry a recipricating saw?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been remiss in my duty to brush hog our trails. Last week I went down to check the trail cam and came back a bloody mess. I knew better but had battery issues with the ATV. So once I got it running I decided to take a ride and check the cam. A few minutes later when I was entrenched in multi-flora that has grown all the way across the trail from both sides, I knew I had screwed up. No place to turn around. No gloves or cutters with me, and I had on a short sleeved shirt. I slowly moved through the mess, arms bleeding in 20 spots or more. I looked a mess.
So, I've procrastinated as long as possible, tonight I hit the trails. The brush hog will make short work of the tall stuff in the trail but the multi-flora vines that creep across the trail from both sides still present a problem. Normally I carry a little pair of snips, and that works fine (and I'll probably carry them tonight too) ...but I've had the bright idea of taking my recipracating saw along to chomp through the multiflora farther back from the trail. Should be a breeze.
But when I'm not using the saw I need a way to carry it on the tractor where I can reach it from my seat. I could bungy cord it to my ROP ... but wondering if there is a better way.
Any suggestions?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I should add I'm looking for a holster or something that would be easy to put the saw in, and retrieve it as I might need it every 5 ft, after manuvering the bush hog around. I'll have to hang it up while driving, but if I have to bungy it each time it would work but be a bit of a hassle. There has to be a better way.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, how about a short section of pvc sewer pipe tied to the rops?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I'm assuming it's battery operated. If so, it will be "butt heavy" so take that into account if you try something. A bungy will take a lot of abuse trying to hold that weight to your ROPS. And it won't do your saw any good either beating and banging around. Jim's suggestion of PVC pipe would work, either on your ROPS or FEL bracket. Use a couple of those 36" HVAC ty-wraps to temporarily attach it. then use a short bungy strap to hold the saw in the pipe. Damn, I have some 12" lengths of 4" and 6" PVC pipe out back. Wanna drive to Columbus to pick one up? :hide:

I usually lay mine across my lap :yum:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On my hills I can't do the lay on lap option.
I was brush hoggin before I saw these replies. I ended up stringing up a bungy cord tight and let the sawz all hang from that. Worked okay. Hard to get off from the seat though. A good pair of leather gloves worked best for most of the multiflora. I used the sawz all on a couple of vines, so it came in handy but not as I expected.
With the teeth on my FEL it grabs the multi-flora better so I can tear up more of the multi-flora better. It was awesome. The tooth bar comes in handy for more than just diggings. :thumb:
I will still use the sawz all but we'll do that from the ATV riding double and getting the straglers that I didn't get with the tractor.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I will still use the sawz all but we'll do that from the ATV riding double and getting the straglers that I didn't get with the tractor.

What job does Abby get? The driving or the sawing?

Those toothbars are great, aren't they?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What job does Abby get? The driving or the sawing?

Those toothbars are great, aren't they?

I would give her the choice. I suspect she'll want to drive ...but shhhhh I haven't mentioned it to her yet. :D

Toothbars are awesome!!!!!!!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've had the bright idea of taking my recipracating saw along to chomp through the multiflora farther back from the trail. ... when I'm not using the saw I need a way to carry it on the tractor where I can reach it from my seat.
Here you go, Doc. I carry a recipro saw often.

I strapped a kid-size golf bag to my right loader pillar. This smaller bag doesn't have have dividers in the opening, just one big hole. It's just the right size to holster the front half of the reciprocating saw. (The smaller golf bag is bright red in this photo).

I also have an adult-size golf bag on the back for shovels, bow saw, and long handle pruners.

Total thrift-store materials cost: under $5.

attachment.php

Erik

have you considered a ditch bank tool?
sort of like an oversized Gerber brush tool with a 42" long handle.
should be able to find one for about $30 at lowes, menards, or home despot.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Chris. Great idea. That would work perfectly!!!!!!! Now I'll have to stop at the local thrift store. :thumb:

No Erik I have not considered a ditch bank tool as I didn't know they existed. Do you swing it to cut? From the pics I found it didn't look like it has any moving parts. :confused:

Attachments

• ditch-bank-tool.jpg
    ditch-bank-tool.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 287

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have one of those brush-hooks. It has been here at the ranch since I was a kid.

I try it for various tasks from time to time, but have never found it useful for anything. Chopping roots while removing a stump is the only application I can imagine it is matched to.

It's heavy. Swinging it and pulling at the same time to get a slicing action is too tiring to use continually. And it seems to me that swinging it while standing in brush would just wrap the brush around your head.

Erik, what application is that suited for?

Erik

I've used mine to clear small branches, trim vines that I didn't want to get into (like multiflora or creeping blackberry), grub out small honey locust trees, etc...
no moving parts, better reach than a machete or woodsman's pal, and lighter than an axe.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We have been clearing the trails of overgrown multiflora using hand clippers from the rear of a ATV (riding 2, one driving one clipping). I recently thought of a battery operated hedge trimmer but they are expensive, so I figured a sawz all type of thing might work. It's raining here today so I can't try it tonight as planned, but soon I'll be trying that out.
the ditch bank tool does indeed look light. Not sure how it would work in the thick multiflora stuff I'm talking about.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Erik, does your brush tool have a relatively thin blade? That sounds easier to use than the heavy one I have. This has a cast head that is maybe twice the weight of a double-bit axe.

Erik

yup - mine has a blade about the same thickness and spring temper as a decent machete - it's not very heavy.
In fact, I can swing it one handed pretty well if I'm not trying to power through a thick branch.
I've also used it to cut sod for a dig line when putting in borders.

urednecku

I bought one of these at wally-world for about $10 or so best I can remember. I carry it on my Bota & it does a great job of small to medium limbs - easy to use as a machete, but heaver-duty. I grew up using the full-size ones, similar to your pic, and like was said, handier to use than an ax for a lot of situations.

Erik

if you can find more of those for $10, I'd take a few - just let me know what shipping is so I can mail you a check! That's just like the Gerber version except for the name, and $25 cheaper! (Gerber and Fiskars are to branches of the same country)

urednecku

I'll check next time I get by there, & let ya know. It was 2-3 months ago, but I couldn't find it on their website today.