How Do You Bush Hog a Field?

BoneheadNW

My neighbor just finished bush hogging his 4 acres of tall grass and it looks great. It appears that he used the "zamboni method" by circling the field a couple of times and then splitting it into two side by side ovals. Never having used a bush hog, I was wondering how one would cut the long grass that is pushed down by the tractors' tires? Doesn't this grass get missed by the bush hog?
Bonehead

Mark777

I'm not sure how others do this, but I usually cut 2/3 rds of the shredder's width when the grass is 12" or higher. This compresses less tire width and only one wheel on each pass. Front chain guards also assist in raising much of the trampled vegetation once you cut in the opposite direction.

Depending on where you set the top link height you have some vacuum from the blades at PTO speeds (540 RPM).

PBinWA

I would try to hit the rows in a different direction and overlap. I always had some lines where the tires were though. Now that I have a flail mower with finish cut blades I get better lift.

However, most of the time I don't care if there are some lines. If the grass is under 12" then the lines won't be that noticeable as the mower gets most of it.

Mith

I've always found that if the grass is shortish it springs back up where the tyres went. When its long it doesn't really matter if bits in the tyre tracks are missed, just hacking the bulk of it down is good enough.

Bone, you are missing out on one of the most satisfying tractor uses by having not used a topper (bush hog), ask your neighbour if you can have a go next time :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My brush hog is 5' while to the outside edge of the tires is over 6'. So only a small portion of the weeds that are pushed down are mowed on that pass. And, like others, I end up overlapping rows a foot or so. It works out great.
Like Mith said, it is one of the most satisfying tractor uses. It makes such a difference once your done.

Big D

BoneheadNW,

I dont use a bush hog all that much because most of my yard is finished mowed but sometimes what ill do is cut it one direction one day and the usually that next day whatever was missed is sticking back up and then i will hit it again in a different direction. Takes longer because of the wait but it does give you a reason to go back out the next day if nothing else.

jbrumberg

My rotary cutter is wider than my wheel width. I find that with a lower cutting height I have less grass compression. I still cut at around 6" with the rear of the cutter ~.5" - 1" higher than the front. If you overlap your cut your rotary cutter should have enough "lift" to cut the compressed grass. I generally cut my lower field in a clockwise direction, but will reverse directions cutting especially after negotiating some of the challenging areas :eek:. I still get some tire tracking. Jay

twinwillows

In using my 6ft bushhog I find it comfortable to make 4 to 6 complete "rounds" of the field & then start the back & forth. Since my place is not square I'll end up with some odd shaped areas - triangles & such. Those I"ll mow in a skipping pattern approx 2 or 3x the width of my bushhog apart & then I'll go back & cut the skipped areas. This seems to cut faster.

As to tire compressed grass - I just don't worry about it as it's a field/horse pasture & not my lawn.

Grrrr

In using my 6ft bushhog I find it comfortable to make 4 to 6 complete "rounds" of the field & then start the back & forth. Since my place is not square I'll end up with some odd shaped areas - triangles & such. Those I"ll mow in a skipping pattern approx 2 or 3x the width of my bushhog apart & then I'll go back & cut the skipped areas. This seems to cut faster.

As to tire compressed grass - I just don't worry about it as it's a field/horse pasture & not my lawn.

One thing I do with those funny triangle / really awkward small areas is just drive forward and then backup. Saves turning around at the end.