40 series antifreeze in oil

bradb

I have a 4640 with 5000hrs and have antifreeze getting into crankcase. I changed the head gasket last fall. Coffee row guys tried to tell me it was my water pump??? I told them they were crazy but I am hoping that someone else will tell me it is not a cracked sleeve.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Brad. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
Hate to hear about your problem. I won't take a guess, but know that symptom sounds bad. 5000 hours. Not to shabby. When you replaced the head gasket did you rebuild it also?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Hi brad,
Welcome to NTT. I'm not all that familiar with your tractor or water pump design, but that would be a new one on me. I've never heard of a water pump leak/malfunction able to leak into the lubrication system. I could be wrong, I was once...........well OK twice :yum:

Brutus

If memory serves, this is an intercooled engine. If so, you have an internal "radiator" in the water jacket which circulates engine oil through to cool the oil. These will rust through in time, allowing the coolant to mix with the oil. Since the cooling system is under pressure, coolant goes into the oil, rather than oil into the coolant.

I think.:rolleyes:

olcowhand

If it has the intercooler, then might be the prob. Also, if it has "wet" sleeves, then the o-ring at base of a sleeve could be leaking.