Busy Busy...Corn Silage Time

olcowhand

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]One 150'x30'x10+' tall pit is filled, and started today on the other identical size pit. Silage like we've never had before....putting out the tonnage! Going to have much more grain when shelling time comes than we've ever had. Likely 40% more than we need for feeding our herd. Usually we have just a tad more than we need, sometimes coming up short. Last 2 years waaaay short! Milk price doesn't pay the bills at the moment, but price will be rising slowly.
Here is a part of a letter I received from SUDIA...the folks who brought you the "Got Milk" commercials. I serve as a district director on Sudia.

We have reached a very unfortunate milestone in Kentucky’s dairy industry – we have dropped below 1,000 dairies in the state. Milk Safety is currently reporting 994 as of September 1.

To give you some idea of where we’ve been:

1980 6,000+ (before the government buyout)
1990 3,500+
2000 1,900+

current 994

Unfortunately, with current prices the way they are, it looks as though this number will be decreasing even more.

In for a quick lunch, then back at it. Be glad to have some time to hobby with my tractors. Heck, all the yards & barn area need mowing bad. Been helping my BIL last few evenings with getting his land surveyed.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Thats sad to here olcowhand . My Uncles had a 3rd generation dairy farm at the familly homestead that They finally had to give up the dairy business about 10 years ago . Luckily they had other recources for income & never lost the homeplace . I used to help out in the summers growing up & learned the respect for hard work .

There allways seemed to be something that They had to fight through to keep things running smoothly . I am glad though that I had the chance to experience , understand & appreciate the work & hardships involved when I pour Me a glass of milk in the mornings though . Hope things get better soon . Bob