Screw in Studs

PBinWA

I just ordered some screw in tire studs from these guys:

http://tirechainsrequired.com/maxi-grip.html#

Pricing was reasonable for~$70-85 /100

I'm hoping to not have to use my chains as much this up coming winter. The chains sure make a mess of my asphalt driveway.

Thought I would pass the info along in case anyone was interested.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting PB. I'd go for those over chains for sure. Lately we've been lucky in that we have very light winters. (I know, famous last words :hide: )

JimR

I just ordered some screw in tire studs from these guys:

http://tirechainsrequired.com/maxi-grip.html#

Pricing was reasonable for~$70-85 /100

I'm hoping to not have to use my chains as much this up coming winter. The chains sure make a mess of my asphalt driveway.

Thought I would pass the info along in case anyone was interested.

Very interesting item you found there. I'd like to try them on my turf tires but I'm afraid that I would get stuck up in the woods without my tire chains in the winter. Maybe someday I'll buy another set of spare tires and wheels for the rear end of my tractor for the winter months.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
They both have their purpose. But you're going to tear up an asphalt driveway no matter which one you use. The studs, IMO, will work well on ice because they can dig into the surface (read my comment on asphalt driveways). They don't really help much on snow more than a half inch or so. There are specific chains for ice, but they dig into the surface as well. Chains work the best in snow and some mud. The trick with either is to go s...l...o...w. If you spin the tires, you're gonna wreck the driveway.

PBinWA

They both have their purpose. But you're going to tear up an asphalt driveway no matter which one you use. The studs, IMO, will work well on ice because they can dig into the surface (read my comment on asphalt driveways). They don't really help much on snow more than a half inch or so. There are specific chains for ice, but they dig into the surface as well. Chains work the best in snow and some mud. The trick with either is to go s...l...o...w. If you spin the tires, you're gonna wreck the driveway.

The main problem is that putting on the chains (especially the rear chains) is a big hassle. Once they are on, I tend to leave them on. Our snow conditions are never constant. We get waves that come in over a week or two and then melt away so you are going from light powder to wet flakes to icy roads to slush. Even with out spinning the tires the chains still leave scuffs on the asphalt.

PBinWA

They seem to get cheaper every year. We had a really light snow season last year so I can't say I got to really test them out. The long term forecast says this may be a bad winter so maybe I'll get to test them out. Of course, if all it takes is sticking more studs in my tires to keep the snow away then I'll keep it up until you can't see the rubber on my tires. ;)

They held up well all summer though ;)

PBinWA

Update, they seemed to work good enough. There is still a little slipping of the front wheels when moving large loads but in general I don't think I'll have to chain up for most snow storms.

Even when the front wheels are slipping they aren't chewing up the asphalt like the chains did.