Brush hog? vs Bunny

chowhound

I have no other explanation other than I must have run over a rabbit while brush hogging. This is what is weird though...
First, I brush hog my walking paths in the back quite low and have a full skirt/deck around my Rhino rotary cutter, rails dragging. How did this rabbit manage to get thrown a scant foot from the path I had just cut... sideways?
Second, the rabbit was about 30 feet from where I turned around and was headed back down the way I had just come. It was laying in the area I was about to chop. It was covered already by about a dozen yellow jackets and two dozen flies of various sizes. How quick do the scavengers move in? I wasn't gone but maybe 40 seconds or so and it was a windy day in the low sixties. I didn't even notice any bugs out until I saw the rabbit.
Third, everything was just a little too tidy looking. Has anyone here ever ran over something living while hogging? I would have thought the, well... :shitHitsFan: ... I mean, don't you think the parts would have been scattered by the blade? Especially if they bounced off the inside of the deck area...

Anyway, with the miracle of electronics... yes, I snapped a pic with my cell phone :wink: I figured I would give this thread a little time and see how the yays v nays count up. The pic is pretty graphic. It sure is weird though.
And aliens did cross my mind, but I figured they would have carved up more than just one measly rabbit

Attachments

• spacecraft.gif
    spacecraft.gif
    59.2 KB · Views: 308

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Has anyone here ever ran over something living while hogging?

By accident a few rabbits and a fawn hiding in the tall grass.

On purpose, snakes, rats, and mice.

Most interesting non living was a stack of clay flower pots hidden in the tall grass. Sounded like the gear box exploded!

olcowhand

Got me a skunk on purpose....but don't try it unless it's your last pass for the day!.....Then keep the tractor moving, park it, and leave it be for a day or 2!:yum:

chowhound

It was already gutted olcowhand, but the bugs put me off. I just couldn't imagine this many buggs lighting on something freshly killed within the minute. Not in chilly NW PA.