I'm Confused

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I just carried out the 200 hour service on my L4740 HSTC. Everything went well until it came to replacing the transmission filter. After reading the manual very carefully, it said to replace the transmission filter at 200 hours and replace the transmission fluid and filter at 400 hours.

The first step in replacing the filter was to remove 3 drain plugs in the transmission case and rear axles. I did that and drained about 11 gallons of fluid. Replaced the plugs.

The next step was to remove the filter (that was a bugger) and replace with the new filter. I did that.

The third step was to top the fluid back up to the mark on the dipstick and that is where I got confused. Top it back up with what???? If I use new Super UDT, I have essentially changed out the transmission fluid 200 hours early but they surely can't mean to top it back up with the used fluid that I just drained out of it, can they? There's something just not kosher about filling it back up with fluid that has half of its useful life already gone.

I've emailed Kubota asking for a explanation and I'll see my dealer come Monday to get more Super UDT but what do you guys think???

It's all a little strange to me and I'm a little bit confused about what I should do. My inclination is to bite the bullet and replace the transmission fluid and filter every 200 hours and damn the expense but I'd like to know what they really mean.

urednecku

The manual for my M7040 is on the tractor, over in the barn, or I'd check it....I'll try to remember to check it tomorrow.
Kubota's "generic quick-reference chart for all Kubota products" shows 'Transmission fluid change' and 'Hyd. Oil filter cleaning' both at 50 hours, then at 300, 600, and 900 hours. Also, I've always been to the opinion if your gonna change the filter, change the oil too.

urednecku

ETF, my book also says in service intervals to change hydro filter every 300 hrs., and Hydro fluid, every 600 hours.
The directions, about 2 pages apart, show the same routine except the one on changing tranny fluid specifies use Kubota Super UDT.
Think I'll call my dealer, too!!

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
ETF, my book also says in service intervals to change hydro filter every 300 hrs., and Hydro fluid, every 600 hours.
The directions, about 2 pages apart, show the same routine except the one on changing tranny fluid specifies use Kubota Super UDT.
Think I'll call my dealer, too!!

Yea, that's exactly what my manual shows only at 200 hour intervals. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it??? I wonder what would happen if you just whipped off the transmission filter, caught the escaping fluid in a bucket, screwed on the new filter real fast and poured the caught fluid back in. The end result would be the same. Strange. Anyway, I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to get 12 gallons of Super UDT (and maybe an answer) 'coz I just can't bring myself to pour half used fluid back in after draining it all out of there.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wonder what would happen if you just whipped off the transmission filter, caught the escaping fluid in a bucket, screwed on the new filter real fast and poured the caught fluid back in. The end result would be the same.

You got it Frank. I've read of others doing exactly that. Seems kinda crazy to me, but I suspect the price of the Super UDT influenced that call.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I just got back from the dealer and I'm $140 poorer. I got 12 gallons of a generic Super UDT and not the Kubota stuff. I though that since I'm probably going to be replacing it again at the proper interval in another 200 hours it shouldn't be a problem.

I did talk to one of the mechanics at the dealership and when I explained what the manual said and what I'd done, he burst out laughing. According to him, when people first change the transmission filter on their new tractor, they follow the instructions in the manual to drain the transmission case and they all come to a point when the ask themselves, "Now, why did I just do that?".

He said that in the shop they never drain the fluid just to change the filter. They just screw the old filter off and screw the new filter on, catching the escaping fluid in a bucket. He said that if you're real quick, you don't even lose a couple of quarts. They pour the caught fluid back in the tractor, wipe everything down and the job is done in under 5 minutes.

That's what I'm going to do next time. It's just a pity that that little piece of knowledge cost me $140. I'm a lot smarter now.

urednecku

THANKS!!!! That makes a lot more sense. I haven't called my dealer yet, I'm still about 80 hours short of needing that change.

magicheater

I checked my manual on an L4350 and the intervals are 200 hrs for filter and 400 hours on the fluid. It states when changing the filter "Detach the filter and install new one". It also reminds you to clean the magnetic filter tip. I normally scratch the hours at which I change filters on the filter themselves. Easy way to remember when you did it when years can go by between intervals on low use owners.

nixon

Frank , I wish that I had seen Your post earlier ! When I did My filters (200 hrs. ) ,I only lost about 2 quarts . The dealer was no help at all on what to expect when I pulled the filters . I bought a cheap plastic Kiddie pool expecting the worst . I too was also puzzled as to why they would want You to drain all the fluid just to change 2 filters .

Doubleh

This is definately an old thread but I'm always curious about oil questions. I dug out the manual on my little B7510 to see if I remembered right and I did. It states to change both the filter and fluid at 50 hours. Next change is at 300 hours and each change thereafter at 300 hours intervals, both filter and fluid.

I'll tell you this: after draining the fluid at 50 hours there is no way I would have poured it back in the tractor. Too much shiny stuff in the fluid. My personal thinking is if the oil needs a new filter you need clean oil and vise versa. If any thing I own has a filter in the oil system both get changed at the same time. It may be over kill but it's also cheap insurance. New oil and filters cost much less than new parts and labor.

M

MessickFarmEqu

Thats good advice. The 50hr is always the most 'dirty' oil change. Beyond that it does seem to make the most sense just to do both the oil and filter every 300.