When It Rains.......

olcowhand

IT POURS! Got my MF "2050" (modified MF1650) out a few weeks ago to pack down fill dirt in freestalls we're renewing. Heard a very light squeal whole time, but finished the job. Steering then became difficult as I drove to the shop. Almost got to point of NO steering. The power steering was working, and it pulled the right spindle so hard it popped the keeper off the top & spindle almost got pulled out bottom of axle beam! Got it back down & managed into the shop. I think the left spindle is frozen in the axle beam, and the power steering cylinder pulls from the right spindle. Anyway, onto the power takeoff. The squeeling was from a totally stripped splined double pulley on the top PTO shaft! Then inspecting everything I find the main powershaft has about 90 degrees play inside the flywheel adapter! Dang! all the shafting in this thing has to come out. Not like I didn't have plenty work on the farm to do. I almost sold my rear PTO off a 1655, but decided to keep it, and good thing, as I can use the good splined end off the shaft to rebuilt top shaft that is stripped, plus I have a great double pulley off the 1655 setup. Lots of work to do, but will be in top shape when finished. The top shaft's bearing was locked, so is likely reason the top pulley stripped out. It was worn quite a bit already, so when she locked it finished it off. Funny thing is, I never heard a thing! I must be going deaf!

olcowhand

Decided to devote my day off from cows yesterday to getting the Massey back up & running.
Only had to buy 2 bushings & a key'd weld-a-hub to go with parts I already had to repair her. The top pto splined pulley ID was stripped to smooth bore. Used lathe to cut pulleys off stripped hub. Then turned the weld-a-hub down to fit the pulley centers. Welded on the pulleys afterward.

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

The PTO shaft was stripped bad, so cut the front portion off & did the repair in-frame" to avoid having to take the entire pto out of tractor. I had this 1"ID bearing & mount already, so bushed the shaft up to 1" to fit the bearing. Had to weld more metal to bottom edge of plate holding bearing to allow for the 2 lower bolts for bearing block. To align shaft parts, I used a section of 3/4" angle-iron & lashed it to shafts with large vise-grips. Weld, cool, grind weld down, then move angle around shaft until all was welded. Before welding the shaft parts back together, I slid another bushing back onto the shaft with 4 drilled holes on each end of the bushing. After welding the shaft together with 7018 rod, I ground back to 3/4", then slid the bushing back over the joint, then filled the holes in bushing with weld to reinforce the joint.

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

The left front spindle had seized into the axle beam. To install the 1" spindles, the beam was not thick enough to install bushings, so it's steel on cast, and I had the tolerance too tight. Reamed the beam out a few thou, and now all turns smooth & easy.
The PTO now runs very smooth, and now the new bearing can be greased periodically. If the rear of shaft ever gives problems, it will get the same treatment. Glad to have this out of the way. I have way too many things to get to and my personal shop is small, so one thing at a time.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job Daniel! Thanks for the pics of your work. Makes it easy to follow along and appreciate what you did. Nice work!!!!! :thumb:

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Man you do good work. I don't weld worth a darn so for anything like that, I ship it off to the dealer. I'd love to have you as a neighbor though. :)