B7100 4x4 problems

Hey there all,
Here is the deal, I loaned my little orange tractor to a friend. I got it back and put it in the barn. A few days later I got it out to push some horse manure around and discovered that the front wheels are not pulling. I can shift the lever back and forth but the front end does not engage. No clunking, no grinding, no howling, no nothing. I am hoping that I can get some guideance here on where to start trouble shooting. Thanks for any help you might give
Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang I hate when that happens. First thing I would check would be the hydro fluid level. Guessing it is hydro.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Hey there all,
Here is the deal, I loaned my little orange tractor to a friend. I got it back and put it in the barn. A few days later I got it out to push some horse manure around and discovered that the front wheels are not pulling. I can shift the lever back and forth but the front end does not engage. No clunking, no grinding, no howling, no nothing. I am hoping that I can get some guideance here on where to start trouble shooting. Thanks for any help you might give
Jim

Jim, I had a similar problem on a BX 2200. The drive shaft to the front differential came loose (it has a similar connection as the drive shaft to the mower deck). I knew something was not right with the 4 wheel drive, but thought I would finish mowing, then check it out. That's when I saw one end of the shaft laying on the mower deck.

It was simple to reconnect, except for having to remove the mower deck for easy access.

Hope your problem is as simple as mine was.

Bob