I've had it with my tractor, ............

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
............. I'm convinced the quad is the way to go for moving snow! I put a 60" warn snow plow on my Brute Force this year and it's just the cat's meow. I can move it faster, out of tighter places, put it in more out of the way places and do less ground damage.

Now, all I ever used was a back blade on the tractor. Looking back all the time and direction changes just wore me down. I do have a QA that allowed me to put the blade on the FEL but I was just to leery (probably unnecessarily) of the stresses it put on the FEL arms so I quit doing it.

With the snow we've got this year, I will admit that I got the tractor out once to move piles of snow out of the way with the FEL so I have room to make more piles but as far as clearing snow, I'm a quad guy from now on, besides admittedly funner!!

Last edited:

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I promise Jim, fixin' to go out now and play some more. Hell I was out last night from 7-9 moving snow (including 2 of the neighbor's drives and they don't live too close .... :yum:) and one of them stopped and threw me a couple sawbucks!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Think Warm!

We only got 2 inches this time and the wind was so high most of it has blown away. Makes up for the 29 inches we got a couple of days before Christmas.

I cleared our drive, parking pad and the road to the barn. One of the neighbors got his Cub Cadet buried and my wife pulled him out with my L3400. I was going to do it but my wife wanted to help him since he is a male chauvinist!:pat: She had no trouble at all proving once again that size and weight matters. His Cub is a little smaller than a BX Kubota and the snow was as high as his hood. The L3400, weighted tires, and mower is around 6500 pounds. Two feet taller helped too. Couple of the neighbors accused me of mowing the snow. I told them I left it on for the weight. The real reason is that I couldn't get the pto shaft to release in the cold.

Jim

PBinWA

When I bought my used Western Plow last year I thought about putting it on the tractor but decided to put it on the truck. The FEL is too handy for piling snow up high and now I can leave the blower on the back of the tractor. I just use the plow for doing the road and it doesn't need much angle changes. I also like the heated cab a lot better! ;)

I think an ATV plow would be great for a driveway but at some point the ATV isn't going to be big enough to push large amounts of snow - even with Big Dog on top. :hide:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I thought Dawg was talking about one of those bigger / heavier RTV type of units. Looking forward to pics of whatever he's using to get the job done. :D

I'm surprised he hasn't put a blade on that sweet dump truck of his.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Dump truck is a standard, I ain't gonna go jamming gears plowing. Frankly I foresaw a bad Winter and have been looking for a used automatic 2500, just haven't found the perfect truck for the job and the bank roll. My current attention is the new garage, signed the contract a week ago.

Now for pictures ................

Pulling in to the driveway

P1020912.JPG

P1020915.JPG

P1020916.JPG

Lay down area ..... :)

P1020917.JPG

Continuing up the drive

P1020918.JPG

P1020921.JPG

New garage is going where the cars and truck are .......

P1020924.JPG

Heat source (gas well)

P1020925.JPG

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Great pictures. Hopefully there will be room in the garage for the dump truck

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics Dawg.
Exciting news about the new garage. Congrats!!!!!!!

I'm surprised that ATV will move much snow without chains.
How is the blade angle and height controlled? Where did you get the blade?

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Good pics Dawg.
Exciting news about the new garage. Congrats!!!!!!!

I'm surprised that ATV will move much snow without chains.
How is the blade angle and height controlled? Where did you get the blade?

I have yet to need anything for traction, hell my tires are the originals and need to be replaced. There's no telling what it could do with new tires or chains for that matter.

Blade angle is manual, gotta get off the machine. It has 5 positions, center and 2 left and right. Pull up on a spring loaded handle (red lever in the pictures), move the blade, release the handle and the lever locks into slots on the plow frame.

For up and down I use my winch, you can see the fairlead in the pictures. They do make a manual handle for lifting. I'm still using the cable but I just got the Amsteel winch rope and a Amsteel plow lead in the mail today. I'll be putting that on if and when the cable fails.

I have a mountain man for a neighbor and his drive is so steep he cuts across his soybean field to go to work. I plowed across 500 yards of soybean field today AND did his driveway, had a ball!

Attachments

• P1020891.jpg
    P1020891.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 162
  • P1020933.jpg
    P1020933.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Forgot about the plow purchase ...............

I searched local for a plow and the cheapest I could find a plow with a frame mid-mount was $539 +tax. They do make a front mount but from most everything you hear it is best to steer clear of that due to the possibility of front end damage. I searched the web and found 4wheelonline. Long story short, I bought a Warn Provantage 60" plow, plowbase/pushtube assembly with mid-mount mounting kit. Total was $470 with free shipping and to top it off, when I bought they were running a $70 rebate. I'll have $400 in it after I get my rebate ............ nuttin but smileys on this deal!

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Thats an awesome deal Dawg. Did that include the winch? I suppose not.

No, that's been on since new. Funny thing, you can have a winch for about $70 more if you where to choose the manual lift. They're phasing out the manual lifts and that's the way to do it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info Dawg. Thanks! now you got me thinking ....and that's always dangerous :D

If we got more snow down this way it would be a no brainer.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Great pics Dawg , darn nice looking place as well . That rig does some perty impresive snow moving & as You said very little ground damage . Thanks for showing , Bob

PBinWA

Nice toys dawg but that really isn't that much snow.

I'm probably cursing myself by posting pics from last year but this one wasn't the worst of it. At one point I started to get worried about running out of places to stack it.

Attachments

• P1020550.JPG
    P1020550.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 148

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice toys dawg but that really isn't that much snow.

I'm probably cursing myself by posting pics from last year but this one wasn't the worst of it. At one point I started to get worried about running out of places to stack it.

You can have it all as far as I'm concerned!