Leaky hydraulics

Mith

I have a leak where the fittings connect to my valve block. I have installed some seals (the ones that are like a metal washer with a rubber inside) and those have reduced it to a few drops an hour. If I leave the loader up with weight in it and turn the pump off the fluid really leaks out.
Is there another way to stop the leaking, can I use teflon tape on the threads, and will this help?
I dont want to put and putty or goo of any sort on there because that seems too much of a bodge.
Any ideas, I'm getting tired of fuild leaking onto my leg!
Thanks

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mith,
Not sure how to help with the leak, but to prevent it from getting worse (or to stop one from starting) I was told to relieve all pressure from the hydraulics after use.
In other words I never leave my bucket up when I'm done with the tractor. After turning off the engine I drop the bucket and move the joystick all directions so that no pressure is left in the lines. I also do that with my 3ph. I never leave it up in the air. Always drop it to the ground once I and done for the day.

Mith

Doc, I do that too (mainly to take the load off the front axle...), but occasionally I use it to hold something up in the air, and that is when it leaks really badly. Despite the leak, the loader doesn't move down very much atall

Mark777

Mith,

I've used Teflon tape for a long time. Both during original installation of new parts and while repair-replacing existing ones.

I do not tempt fate by allowing the tape to come too close to the ends of tapered threads, and I have heard stories about tape being ingested into the pump causing clogs and other problems....but me, using it high on the threads has prevented even seepage and no drips. I've never used dope or paste.

Mark

Mith

Thanks Mark.
Do you use normal teflon tape as you would use for water pipe, or special stuff for hydraulics?

Mark777

I use the U.S. approved & code rated Teflon tape for pressurized natural gas and propane lines....The only difference I can see is it's thicker, yellow and more expensive.

Mith

Mark, I went and picked up some of that tape, for gas lines.
Any tips on applying it apart from not going to the ends of the threads? Do I start at the bottom or top of the threads?
Cheers, I really had ought to have a go at plumbing some time :eek:

Mark777

Mith,

No special instructions really, just good, clean metal and wrap it in the direction (clock wise) with the thread. I also start at the bottom with two full wraps and work my way to the thread top....I have no idea if that's the correct way LOL, but I have successfully stopped some pretty pesky drips.

Mark