wud cutta

Mith

Been making some firewood for the winter after next. We've dropped 6 trees I think now. Got 7 pallets split and stacked to dry, probably that much again split, and that much again in chucks to be sawn and split. And yup, I split it all by hand with my trusty axe :D
Sure wouldnt want to be doing this without the loader. Those chunks weigh about 50-80kg, and the longer lengths in excess of that.

27-08-07_1809.jpg

27-08-07_1808.jpg

B

bczoom

Looks like you've been busy!

Do you have plans on getting a log splitter?

Can we get some close-up pictures of your wood storage racks? How tall are they? Without seeing it up close, from a distance it actually looks dangerous. I assume you get freezing conditions and if so, you'll need to watch for tipping.

Mith

Do you have plans on getting a log splitter?
A new axe? :D Really I dont mind splitting the wood by hand. I might make a splitter one day, but to be honest I don't foresee us using too much wood in the future. We used to heat our house with wood, but now we just use it to supplement the gas heating. The gas keeps the house at about 60 degrees, and we use the wood for a bit extra heat on the colder nights.

The 'storage racks' are just pallets (that paving stones come in) stacked on top of each other. Each stack is about 6' tall, the pallets are about 4x2x2' so they are pretty stable.

B

bczoom

Really I dont mind splitting the wood by hand.
The benefit of youth...

Let's resurrect this thread once you get past 40 years old to see if you still like hand splitting...

jwstewar

Staff member
AThe gas keeps the house at about 60 degrees, and we use the wood for a bit extra heat on the colder nights.

I don't know about anyone else, but that seems cold to me to keep the house. I know a lot of people keep their house around 68, we usually stay around 72 year round. My feet would be popcicles if we kept the house that cold.

Doc, we need the snow smiley.

B

bczoom

I don't know about anyone else, but that seems cold to me to keep the house. I know a lot of people keep their house around 68, we usually stay around 72 year round. My feet would be popcicles if we kept the house that cold.
Me too.

ghautz

Doc, we need the snow smiley.

Don't jump to conclusions. Is he using metric numbers? He weighs the wood in kg, tho he measures the pallets in feet. If he is talking European in temperature, his house is 140 degrees in our language.:smile::hide:

Mith

60F is about 17C isnt it? If so, thats about right.

72F is about 22C, I would find that a bit on the hot side

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice stack of wood you got there Mith. :thumb:

Interesting what temperature we find comfortable. We keep it at 71F. Free gas so I go for what is comfortable to me. 71F works. 60F would be way cold for me. I would have to dress in layers.....and wear socks. :D

(I'll work on adding a few smilies later this week.)