Security

Mith

So what cunning methods do you guys use to prevent theft, of your tractor, and from your barn/workshop or whatever?

So far I've been pretty lucky. The travellers (that cause the problems around here) haven't broken in to my workshop yet. Big locks and bars on the windows are working their magic so far.
The tractor really has its own security really, its a pain in the ass to start :D There is no way you could winch it anywhere either, and someone would notice anyway.
Pretty minimal security really I guess, I'm sure you guys have better methods?

B

bczoom

Mine is in a locked building. I doubt my tractor would be taken since my RTV, truck... are all easier to get to and have the keys in them.

I used to do something to the electrical or fuel system but I don't recall what it was since it was so long ago. There's a plug or shut-off or something at the engine that's hard to find (if you were trying to steal it).

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's not enough just to remove the key. Anyone can have a key that fits. There are 5 or 6 L series Kubotas in the neighborhood and the key I have in my pocket fits all of them.

My tractor is kept in an open front shed. There is a gate across the opening that is locked and the gates in the fence around the barn are locked.

I have a video system and there are signs at the gates and on the barn. two cameras mounted on the house watch the barn area and a third is on the blind side of the barn. There's another camera on the driveway.

I know I should do more but just don't know what.

Jim

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 11
  • MVC-031S.JPG
    MVC-031S.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 11

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There's the firearm security but I wasn't going to bring it up.

If I had that type security there would be a 1911 with a couple of magazines in the office along with a few other types at various places around the house. but since I don't do that sort of thing I won't mention it ;)

Mith

I don't usually bother to take the keys out. I've heard stories about unsuccessful theft attempts causing 100s in damage with the thief trying to force the ignition.
Besides, as you say Brian, most stuff is easy to get keys for, infact, most my stuff uses the same key.

Jim, the only thing I can see that you could do is put solid doors on the shed so you cant see whats in there. But really, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to work it out. A bit of a tangent, but here, theft of horse tack etc is not uncommon. I guess the CCTV helps against that?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
So what cunning methods do you guys use to prevent theft, of your tractor, and from your barn/workshop or whatever?... I'm sure you guys have better methods?
Never occurred to me that anyone would want to steal this thing. :mrgreen:

attachment.php

But realistically, I think the risk I need to mitigate is midnight joyriding.

I've usually rented the little cabin behind the ranch house to a student from the nearby college. This has the advantage that someone is there when I'm away. But a couple of those students have turned out to have some pretty loony friends. I don't need to come over to the ranch and find some drunk kid tried driving it and knocked down the corner of my shop.

I recall when I attended college there, and lived in a similar rental, the kid in another rental down the lane got his Ford Falcon stuck up in a tree. I couldn't believe what he told me so I went to see. He had run over an immature apple tree way down in the orchard that was resilient. It sprung back and put the front of the car nearly straight up. He had no idea how it happened or why he was driving down there - he was too stoned at the time. I think of that every time I leave the ranch for a few days!

Preventing temptation is 90% of the remedy. I put a chain with a large and obvious padlock between the clutch pedal and the steering wheel when I won't be around for a few days.

Last edited:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
but here, theft of horse tack etc is not uncommon. I guess the CCTV helps against that?

Surprising what a few saddles, halters, tools, etc, can add up to. There are even a few horse thieves still operating around here but they usually steal a trailer and then load the horse. I don't think they hang them when they catch them like in the old days. I'll have to ask the deputy sheriff who works this area the next time I see him. :mrgreen: