towing hitch on your 3 point...

quincy

I fitted the 3 point linkage to my kubota last night and started looking at making a towing rig to fit on the link. The 3 point linkage doesnt appear to be original though, looks like an aftermarket assembly. I had to shorten the long bar at the front to suit my tractor but the rest of it fitted perfect. The lift drops a bit faster with the extra weight on the lift arms so I didnt bother adjusting the pump. It takes about 7-8 seconds to drop from top position to bottom now so that seems fine.
This is almost exactly what was supplied with the machine :-
3pointassy.jpg

Just wondering, with your setup, how to you combat negative pressure on your towing bar? There doesnt appear to be a downward force acting on the 3 point? The trailer could buck around a bit if you didnt load the trailer with weight forward on the tongue...?

thanks,

quincy

B

bczoom

Just wondering, with your setup, how to you combat negative pressure on your towing bar? There doesnt appear to be a downward force acting on the 3 point? The trailer could buck around a bit if you didnt load the trailer with weight forward on the tongue...?

thanks,

quincy
Quincy,

In general, if you're anticipating little or no tongue weight, it's best not to use the 3PH for towing. You should stick with the fixed draw bar.

A common thing for people to forget (so be careful) is loading a trailer from the rear when it's connected to the tow vehicle. If you're driving something up the back of the trailer, it's going to want to lift the trailer tongue. If it's on the 3PH, you're going to have issues. If the tongue weight becomes too little, it'll actually lift the towing vehicle (tractor or truck). It's best to put some jack stands under the back of the trailer to stop the back from pushing down.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It takes about 7-8 seconds to drop from top position to bottom now so that seems fine.

7 - 8 seconds to drop sounds extremely long. Even with nothing on the 3PH my Kubota (a L3010) will drop in 1 - 2 seconds. Normally it can keep up with however fast I lower the 3PH control lever.