L series cab heating and air

REDDOGTWO

I have a L4630GSTC that is a little over two years old and has over seven hundred hours on it. It is a great tractor, has plenty of power and with the 24-16 transmission, it can go slow enough for the transplanter.

Last year, when we had a day of 114 degree weather, I stopped and checked the belt for the air conditioner as it seemed kind of warm in the cab. The belt was ok and I attributed the temperature in the cab to the warm weather.

As the summer wore on, it just did not seem to cool as well and it seemed to me that the air flow was not as good as when it was new, this was true with the heat in the fall as well.

Today I went out to get the tractor ready for the season, oil change, check fluids, belts, etc. When I was done I decided to pull it into the shop and take the top off of the cab to see if anything could be seen regarding the low air flow, I was thinking maybe a hose for the air had come loose or whatever. After taking the cover off, all that can be seen of the air system is that it is well enclosed.

So the top is off, might as well install the rear wiper and window washer that the dealership did not order with the tractor and so they could not install it. The washer installed quite easily, however you would think that the instructions would point out that the electrical connections are right there if you hunt for the switch connection. All is fine until time to run the hose for the washer. It has to be run up to the top of the cab, down to the inside, take off the side molding, run the hose through that, take off the lower door molding to run the hose there and then under the tractor to the the engine compartment. For all of the time the hose running takes, you would think that if would be there as all of the electrical connections were there. It works good.

Eight PM, so headed home, but the neighbor is outside, he can do about anything, so stopped and ask him for this thoughts on it, we went back to the shop, he took a look and decided it was an airflow problem, which I had surmised already, but within about 5 minutes he had the numerous screws, clips and bolts that was holding the cover on removed and the cover off.

The cooling fins for the air conditioning was completely blocked by dirt and dust, the heating fins were almost blocked. This explains the low cooling and more importantly the low air flow. Tomorrow will be spent with the air compressor blowing everything out.

You would think that they would have a better method for filtering the air flow so this would not happen. The air filter has been cleaned more often than recommended as a lot of the hours are spent tilling and the weather was dry last year which meant a lot of dust.