Hello and introduction

Rico

Hello fellow members,

New to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself and to say thanks for all the great information, stories and pictures. I live on 28 acres (wooded) in the Lower Hudson Valley of New York State and just purchased the Kubota L39 for general land maintenance. I traded my New Holland TC-30 which was my first tractor and a good one but I quickly realized I needed more power primarily for digging big stumps for which I have plenty of and the L39 gets the job done. I will post some pictures soon.

Have fun and be safe!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
WELCOME ABOARD!

Glad you can join us.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Rico!!!!!
Beautiful country up that way. Are you close to the Hudson?
I'm glad you found us here on NTT.
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

Dougster

Old Member
Welcome Rico!!!!!
Beautiful country up that way. Are you close to the Hudson?
I'm glad you found us here on NTT.
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:
Welcome Rico! The L39 is a fine machine. I drool over them at the local Kubota Palace at least every other week before they come and chase me away. :)

But I still get my free donuts! :D

Dougster

Rico

Hello Doc,

Yes I am about a 15 min. drive west from the Hudson River. We just had our first snow fall overnite, just a coating but a bit early.

Cheers

Rico

Thanks guys

for all the replys and welcomes and here are some pictures in return!

Attachments

• DSC0007.JPG
    DSC0007.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC0008.JPG
    DSC0008.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC0009.JPG
    DSC0009.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC0010.JPG
    DSC0010.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC00018.JPG
    DSC00018.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 292

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics Rico. Nice rig.

I am wanting to get a backhoe for my Grand L 3010 Kubota. I see you had to upgrade to 39hp to handle the stumps better.
Would you recommend a hoe on a 30hp as being capable of doing the stumps? What was the biggest drawback to the 30hp tractor / hoe setup?

Hello Doc,

Yes I am about a 15 min. drive west from the Hudson River. We just had our first snow fall overnite, just a coating but a bit early.

Cheers

I have 50 acres with 1100 feet of river frontage on the Ohio. It's 3/4 mile wide here and great for boating and all kinds of fun.
Do you take advantage of the Hudson River? How wide is it there?

Snow has threatened but I haven't seen any yet. I suppose your snow is gone already as daytime temps are in the 40's aren't they? (I get all the NYNY stations with Direct TV so I see weather for NY and New England in general.

Rico

Good pics Rico. Nice rig.

I am wanting to get a backhoe for my Grand L 3010 Kubota. I see you had to upgrade to 39hp to handle the stumps better.
Would you recommend a hoe on a 30hp as being capable of doing the stumps? What was the biggest drawback to the 30hp tractor / hoe setup?

I was able to to dig out stumps with my NH TC-30 but it just took longer and than you have to move them once you get them dug out. I was unable to lift the bigger stump shown 16" with the Kubota L39 FEL and was forced to push it to the area I am storing them until I order a container to haul them off. I will make sure to order a container with the rear swing type door so I can push them in. I was a bit surprised that the L39's FEL was unable to lift that stump with it's beefy lift rating but they hold lots of soil which is heavy as well. I loved my TC-30 but was ready and fortunate enough to trade it for more tractor. I had very low hours on it and the Kubota dealer gave me $15k for it so I went for it. It just fits in it's new home shown in the pictures. It actually touches the top door seal while backing in. I do have to lower the BH boom and than bring it up again but it's nice to be able to gargage it!

I have 50 acres with 1100 feet of river frontage on the Ohio. It's 3/4 mile wide here and great for boating and all kinds of fun.
Do you take advantage of the Hudson River? How wide is it there?

Sounds nice, have you posted any pictures I can see? I do not make it to the Hudson for any activities very often as there are nearby lakes for that. It is about .5 mile wide around here.

Snow has threatened but I haven't seen any yet. I suppose your snow is gone already as daytime temps are in the 40's aren't they? (I get all the NYNY stations with Direct TV so I see weather for NY and New England in general.

Yes the snow has melted and the sun is out so I will attempt to do my 30 hour engine oil change on the L39. I know that it is not called for but I see lots of others doing it reading threads on these sites. What are your thoughts on that? The oil looks only slightly grey so far.

Cheers:D

Rico

Order a container that holds around twenty of them and have them hauled off. It's around $600 but than they are gone!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I will attempt to do my 30 hour engine oil change on the L39. I know that it is not called for but I see lots of others doing it reading threads on these sites. What are your thoughts on that? The oil looks only slightly grey so far.

Cheers:D

Check with your dealer to see if they put a special mix of oil in that you need to run for the 1st 50 hours. Otherwise I see no harm in it. I've heard that some do that and count on it running the full 50 hours for things to seat and break in. Then you change to regular oil.

Your dealer is the expert on this, not me.

Dougster

Old Member
I was unable to lift the bigger stump shown 16" with the Kubota L39 FEL and was forced to push it to the area I am storing them until I order a container to haul them off. I will make sure to order a container with the rear swing type door so I can push them in. I was a bit surprised that the L39's FEL was unable to lift that stump with it's beefy lift rating but they hold lots of soil which is heavy as well.
This is where things get hairy with my Mahindra 4110 as well. The good news is that you can dig out the stump. The bad news is that my FEL grapple weighs so much that you can't really lift some of these stumps. I end up finding a way to push it up into the dump trailer or I drop the bucket or grapple and out come the chains. If that doesn't do it, it's time to bring out the pressure washer and chainsaw to lighten the load.

I'd love to know what that 16" stump weighs... and how it compares to Kubota's FEL lift rating on the L39.

Dougster

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome and what a nice place! Look like we have the same taste in homes....:D

What size is your garage Rico, I'm guessing 20x24?

Attachments

• 100_1184.jpg
    100_1184.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 289

Rico

Welcome and what a nice place! Look like we have the same taste in homes....:D

What size is your garage Rico, I'm guessing 20x24?

Hi Big Dog,

Nice looking property and home.

The garage is 24'x30' with 11' ceiling. I had it log sided and upon completion I was about to coat it with Sikken's and realized it had to be sanded first. The cutting process gives the wood what is called "mill burn" which has to be sanded through for the wood preservative to penetrate properly. Never again! There is something to be said for vinyl siding as much as I thought I disliked it!

How do you like your Kioti, they look like good machines.

Rico

This is where things get hairy with my Mahindra 4110 as well. The good news is that you can dig out the stump. The bad news is that my FEL grapple weighs so much that you can't really lift some of these stumps. I end up finding a way to push it up into the dump trailer or I drop the bucket or grapple and out come the chains. If that doesn't do it, it's time to bring out the pressure washer and chainsaw to lighten the load.

I'd love to know what that 16" stump weighs... and how it compares to Kubota's FEL lift rating on the L39.

Dougster

Hi Dougster,

Nice looking tractor, I love the high ground clearance. That is one thing I wish the L39 had more of! What kind of grapple do you have? I would like to purchase one eventually.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Big Dog,

Nice looking property and home.

The garage is 24'x30' with 11' ceiling. I had it log sided and upon completion I was about to coat it with Sikken's and realized it had to be sanded first. The cutting process gives the wood what is called "mill burn" which has to be sanded through for the wood preservative to penetrate properly. Never again! There is something to be said for vinyl siding as much as I thought I disliked it!

How do you like your Kioti, they look like good machines.

So far, so good! It's a solid unit and only time will tell for the long term. It does more than ever thunk it would. Doesn't stop me from pushing the limits sometime ...... ;)

Is that block that you used for the base courses on your garage? Oe is it poured forming?

Dougster

Old Member
Hi Dougster,

Nice looking tractor, I love the high ground clearance. That is one thing I wish the L39 had more of! What kind of grapple do you have? I would like to purchase one eventually.
I've got the Piranha root/rock grapple... 66"... now called the "Wildkat" brand I believe. I've had problems with defective cylinders. They both had to be replaced under warranty. I'm not sure I would buy this same grapple again. It's built pretty strong, but it's not so great on smaller rocks and cut-to-length firewood which often fall through the widely spaced bottom bars or through the wide space between the two claws. No one grapple is perfect for every possible application, but I really thought this one would do a little better than it actually has. :eek:

Dougster

Rico

I've got the Piranha root/rock grapple... 66"... now called the "Wildkat" brand I believe. I've had problems with defective cylinders. They both had to be replaced under warranty. I'm not sure I would buy this same grapple again. It's built pretty strong, but it's not so great on smaller rocks and cut-to-length firewood which often fall through the widely spaced bottom bars or through the wide space between the two claws. No one grapple is perfect for every possible application, but I really thought this one would do a little better than it actually has. :eek:

Dougster

Any pictures of it in action? Are they over $3k. I guess you need the extra pluming done as well.

Thanks