Solar Security/Flood Lights

PBinWA

Would you just buy one of every brand and give us a consumer report on them?

My pole barn will be up by next spring so I'll need feedback by then!

;)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not so sure you should reply on solar power for security needs. Every solar power light I've had is very low or all the way off by morning.

Maybe if they had a battery backup otherwise they would be of limited use.

Mith

I'm a little unsure of how much use security lights actually are. We've got some around here (mains though), and I cant see how they make a difference apart from making it easier for thieves to see?

I agree with Doc, all the solar lights I have come across have been fairly unreliable and not particularly bright. But then again, we don't get a huge amount of sun...... :D

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not so sure you should reply on solar power for security needs. Every solar power light I've had is very low or all the way off by morning.

Maybe if they had a battery backup otherwise they would be of limited use.

I'm not really looking for them in a security sense. I just want a short term, motion detected, non-hard wired light for one part of our driveway when you get out of your car. Just enough to get you to the lighted porch area.

shinnlinger

Big Dog,

If running wire isn't your thing, here is an idea, but you will have to get creative "hiding" it.

You will need the following: 1)a small solar trickle charger like the kind you put on the dashboard of your car. 2)Rv battery ideally but any old automotve battery will get you started and 3)LED cluster light in a 4)motion detector socket. You may need an inverter also, but maybe not as the LED's draw so little.

These LED clusters lights are alot brighter than the single LED solar light and because it will only kick on when there is motion they should be plenty bright when you need it to be. Ocasionally you may need to top up the battery with a plug in trickle charger.

Of course looking at all that I would probably bury some 12-2 and be done with it unless there are some significant reasons why that can't be done.

Good luck!