Bush Hog JBI Project

olcowhand

I have 3 Bush Hog garden tractors...two D4-10's and one JBI. The D's are gear trannies, the JB is hydrostatic and a much larger tractor. The JB is rarer than the D's, but I decided to alter it a bit beings I plan on keeping it till I die anyways.:wink: It came stock with a cast iron Briggs 14hp. I like more power. I also bought a Yazoo YR60 with a 2 cylinder Wisconsin TJD engine & the Yazoo as a complete mower just didn't cut it with our rolling barnyards...not hardly any traction. Thus the JB repower came to mind. Had to relocate JB's fuel tank to a fender box where battery was. Moved battery to other fender box as it wasn't a good fit for the tank, but fine for the battery. The engine fills the engine compartment. Had to raise dash unit & hood almost 2" to clear spark plugs. The stator in the TJD was toast, so machined a pulley to bolt to the doubleV pulley to drive a small Honda car alternator...plenty DC power now! The doubleV pulley is gonna drive the rear PTO shaft I am finishing up now. I have all the shaft in, but need to finish the belt tensioner system. This engine has GOBS of torque! It's gonna do great for mowing the barnyard areas...oh yeah, forgot to mention....the 60" deck from the Yazoo will become a pull behind mower running off the rear PTO shaft. Here's some pics:

Stock JBI
DSC00129.jpg

Engine fitting:
DSC00070.jpg

Fuel Tank in Fender Box
DSC00073.jpg

Lid I made from flat plate to match other...this side's lid was gone.
DSC00077.jpg

Pulley fitted to drive alternator
DSC00083.jpg

Alternator mounted
DSC00090.jpg

PTO Jackshaft Unit
DSC00101.jpg

Where pto shaft meets rear tractor chassis plate
DSC00102.jpg

Rear PTO output shaft
DSC00103.jpg

Here's a short video clip of engine running/driving.
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a3... Jabalina 1/?action=view&current=MOV00088.flv

olcowhand

BTW, the fuel tank on the top of dash was temporary only. LOL I now have electric fuel pump with pressure regulator all hooked up.

shinnlinger

That is sweet! Hey how about a "power bulge" in the hood rather than raissing it.

I have a 149 cub cadet and some areins hydro unit sitting around, maybe you will inspire me

olcowhand

PTO almost finished. here are some update pics. This is pretty much a completed drive setup.
DSC00120.jpg

Driveshaft mid stabalizer bearing
DSC00118.jpg

Here's the shaft sneaking between hydro pump & differential

DSC00119.jpg

Had to remove dash tower to weld in the shaft stabalizer bearing bracket.
DSC00111.jpg

When this is finished I'll start on the 60" pull behind mower to run off the rear PTO. After that is done, then it'll be painting time! A ways away I might add.:mrgreen:

Mith

Looks good as ever Dan.

Gunna be a pain changing the hydro filter, or is there more romm between it and the PTO shaft than it looks like?

How many JBs are there? I've not heard of any others.

olcowhand

Looks good as ever Dan.

Gunna be a pain changing the hydro filter, or is there more romm between it and the PTO shaft than it looks like?

How many JBs are there? I've not heard of any others.

JUST enough room to pull the filter. I only know about 3 other JB's, but they're surely more out there.

olcowhand

Got my rims prepped & painted shiny white. All new tires are all on at this time too. I didn't put a full coat on inside of rims as I just had enough to do outside well.

DSC00161.jpg

Gearbox below will be going on the JB to make rotation same as std garden tractor equipment. I will be able to use my Massey MF4250 tiller with it when finished installed. The JB had optional rear pto which came with a gearbox similar to reverse rotation. B-Hog JB gearboxes are pretty much impossible to find though. Not sure what this came off of. Got it from MBN friend for just $33! My rear universal will slide right on & my pto output shaft slides right into the hole, same keyway size & all. Just have to connect up, then mark & drill mounting holes.
GearboxReverser.jpg

I want everything to "appear" stock and so far it's fooling all who look at it & don't know what I've done. I don't let them think that long though as I don't wanna try to truly pass it off as in original configuration. I have an extra D4-10 headlight which I plan to mount on rear for a worklight. This will continue the "OE" look.
I used the JB last weekend with my 3pt rear blade (cut down blade for 8N Ford) to finish cleaning the calf barn. Did a real nice job. Before the TJD engine was installed, the front end would wheelie easily with the rear blade on. Doesn't even offer to come off the ground now! Even if it does, I bought some cast weights for the front. I'll build a bumper guard that will hold the weights. I shouldn't need them, but got the set of 4 (116lbs total) for just $84 delivered! They'll look great if nothing else. They say "Jinma" on them, but I will take that off for cosmetic's sake.
DSC00173.jpg

quincy

Nice job! That TJD shoe horns in there kinda nice! As for the price you paid for the front weights... that is some deal. I wont even tell you how much 4 weights would cost over here...
I like the look of your bush Hog, it looks like a capable and very strong unit...

I like shinnlingers idea of a power bump in the hood instead of raising the whole hood by 2". It would keep the stock look.

N

Nicahawk

That looks like it's been a ton of fun. Nice job! That reversing gearbox was a real find.

Anxious to see pictures of the mower mods and it all hooked together.

olcowhand

The clickable pics below are before & after engine repower. Hood is raised the 2" in one. Hardly shows. This has been fun, and frustrating at times too, but I enjoy it all. Will be some time before I start on the mower. Wanna be sure & get tractor painted first before fly season hits bigtime on our dairy. Not so great for painting with flies trapped on the paint!

jb jd cub

jb1

I just got one jb1 ser#587 bush hog it is all apart hope i can paint and get it back togather some time this year. Has a mower deck with it hope to mow with it.Wife runs a cub cadet 2084 54" cut and have a jd 445 with 54" deck. Iseki 1610 with 60" mower. Not that we like to cut grass but cut about 6 acres at the house and some on the other 112. Like the pto out the back may have to do that.

olcowhand

I just got one jb1 ser#587 bush hog it is all apart hope i can paint and get it back togather some time this year. Has a mower deck with it hope to mow with it.Wife runs a cub cadet 2084 54" cut and have a jd 445 with 54" deck. Iseki 1610 with 60" mower. Not that we like to cut grass but cut about 6 acres at the house and some on the other 112. Like the pto out the back may have to do that.

Glad to hear of another JBI out there! Keep us updated on this project. Great tractors & definitely different! I'm getting ready to leave out to St Louis to pick up another Bush Hog D4-10 in just a few minutes. 600 mile rd trip. Taking daughters to see the Gateway Arch to make the trip even more worthwhile.

olcowhand

I just got one jb1 ser#587 bush hog it is all apart hope i can paint and get it back togather some time this year.

Got any pics of it to post? Like to see it even if apart.
I did some garden plowing with the JB but had to take one of the two 10" bottoms off. Just not enough traction. I ordered a new set of 26x12x12 Super Lugs for it. Fluid filled & weights & it'll be pulling the twin 10's this fall!
I'm about to get my nephew's restore job finished so that I can get back to my JB. Been frustrating not to be able to work on it more.

olcowhand

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Not had much time, but weather has cooled, so felt like a little shop time with the JB tonight. Hadn't got to installing the PTO reverser box, so finally did it. Took out the PTO shaft I gad in it, then re-done that shaft to fit into the reverser. Had to be cut shorter & 1/4" keyway cut into it. On backside I just drilled a hole in shaft, put on a shim washer & roll-pin to hold shaft into gearbox' hollow shaft. I also had to cut the weld off of the welded on ring on the PTO shaft & reposition/reweld as to shorten the output side of the PTO shaft. The input shaft on gearbox had to also be shortened. It all fits perfectly. Just need to make some spacers to bolt it solidly in place. The original hitch is now covered by the gearbox, so I built a receiver & now have a removable drawbar. Oh, and I'd say you noticed the new meat on the rims. Got new front tires also.[/FONT][/FONT]

Mark777

Wow, what a great thread this has been so far!

Excellent engineering and I have picked up some very good ideas from your project (I'll be stealing these and calling them my own :D....j/k). This is going to be an awesome and versatile hunk of machinery when you've completed it.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

olcowhand

Wow, what a great thread this has been so far!

Excellent engineering and I have picked up some very good ideas from your project (I'll be stealing these and calling them my own :D....j/k). This is going to be an awesome and versatile hunk of machinery when you've completed it.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark
I ain't getting any patents, so have at it! No better compliment than having someone apply your ideas to their stuff! :thumb:
Yes, I can't wait to get this one finished. Wanna fill the rear tires, slap some weights on & go plow with my 2 bottom! Have a local show in October that I hope to take as completely finished, but not sure if I can accomplish by then.

olcowhand

Got the rear PTO all buttoned up & working very smoothly. Here's a video of it running my Massey 42" tiller. No dirt shots as it's raining at the moment. Man do I love this tractor!:respect:

billbill1

I had never heard of Bush Hog tractors until I saw this post. Looks like a well built machine. They must have been regional and not popular in the midwest. Wheel Horse is somewhat like that as well, not many around this area.