Hello

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
I wondered where so many of the posters I enjoyed reading had gone! Thanks to Mith's signature on another site, I have now found out. :wave:
By way of introduction, I am just what my name says - a wannabe. Have no land, no tractor, no money, just the desire. And a retired mentaility on a working man's budget, so no retirement for 7 or 8 more years. I work as a consultant on large ERP comuter systems, with contracts varying from a few weeks to a few years, and like a turtle, carry my house with me - I live full time in my RV near whereever I am working.

My daughter on the other hand has bought a house in Northern Alabama with a half acre flat yard and three trees total, so I got her a used 1994 JD LX176, which she will actually use once in a while. Most fun I had lately was replacing a drive belt on the thing. Other than that the closest thing I ever had to a tractor was a 5 hp Snapper I ran for 25 years. (Sigh)

Glad to see you all here.

Fred

Home is where the bus is....

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Fred. I was in your shoes about 6 years ago (at least the wanting a tractor part ....). I read the forums and zero'd in on a 30hp Kubota. bought her in 2002 and she has done me proud.

I didn't know you from other sites, so I'm glad you found your way here. :beer:
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

Love your tag line: Home is where the bus is. :yum:

Mark777

Welcome Fred.

You lead an interesting life to say the least...Seems like making the sacrafices now will sure pay dividends later.

Down the road a little ways, you'll have what you want for a tractor, probably be building a house and on the land you've dreamed of. Then you can sit in the RV, key off, tranny in park and watch it all happen.

Good luck, post often and look forward to pic's and posts in the near future.

Mark

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Since I don't have a tractor, I tend to not post very often, usually when I feel I have something of value to contribute to the conversation. And generally tend to shut my yap when I get an arguemnt, or ignored, as happened to most of my posts elsewhere. I look forward to a better experience here, and I thank you.

Fred

Bindian

Other than that the closest thing I ever had to a tractor was a 5 hp Snapper I ran for 25 years. (Sigh)
Glad to see you all here.
Fred
Fred,
Welcome to our corner of the web. I was given a 10 hp snapper rear engine mower that wasn't running. I installed a new carb and it mowed for me 8 years. I rebuilt the rear axle assy in that time. Other than that, it ran fine. I gave it to a friend when I got a zero turn Hustler. I am guessing it was around 25 years old also. Please post here often. These guys keep me rolling in laughter inbetween getting seat time on my 6520. Since this thread is totally useless without photos, I am including one of a JD I want to find, buy, and rebuild.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• John Deere D.jpg
    John Deere D.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Update - Woohoo!

After 45 years in computers, I finally hung up the ol' coding pad Wednesday - I am now officially a retired person! :biggrin:

Of course, can't afford retirement and the RV payments too, so it has to go. I will be living with my daughter in northern Alabama, and am planning to do some travelling to see things I've never had the chance to see beofre. Plus attend to a little medical problem that has come up, don't know a whole lot yet, but don't like what I do know overly much. :wtf:

I decided if I wanted to enjoy my retirement, I had better do it while I am feeling good, instead of waiting another 7 or 8 years - who knows how I might be feeling by then? I hope to be doing something with tractors by next year, but so far my only prospects are my daughter's 15 year old JD LX 176 that I bought her last year for her half acre yard.

Hmm - now I have to change my signature line!

Regards to all

Fred

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on retiring Fred. :thumb: :beer:
And best wishes for the medical issue. It's amazing what they can do now days, I hope they can do their magic for you so you can enjoy a long and fun retirement.
And any tractor is better than none. Have fun with the classic JD. :thumb:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations Fred!

I retired two years ago and am enjoying every minute.

Jim

Nick

Congratulations on the retirement, Fred. I'm in a similar boat, in that I don't yet have a tractor (of any kind) - but I'm looking. I do have some acreage in Tennessee though that we'll hopefully move to one day. We looked at some land in northern Alabama in fact, but decided on TN since there's not state income tax (but high sales tax!!):mad:

Nick

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on retirement Fred. Yes, take care of those health issues now so you can have some sort of retirement.

N

Nicahawk

Hey Fred, congrats on your retirement. Please come visit me in KS. I'm serious. You can help me in the garden!!! I have some smarts but zero in the computer area, so your welcome! Please keep us posted on whats going on.

LOL from KS.
Nica.