Where do you draw the line?

shinnlinger

oldron,

You can call YOUR rig whatever you want, as it has earned it's place, but I have wondered the same thing from time to time. I beleive I saw a thread at another site that sufficiently clouded the issue. From that thread I will say there is no clear cut answer except possibly designed usage.

This could be an informative thread to watch, or it could get cluttered quickly with stuff about Santa, God, taxes, dogshows, airplanes, windmills.... whatever, it WILL be an adventure...or not.

Last edited:

Mith

I dont really know.

Difference between an LT and a GT is definitely in the gearbox. LTs have weak trans with 3/4" axle (occasionally 1"), GTs are in the 1" and up category, usually cast iron, high and low ratio etc.

I think the line between GTs and CUTs is a little more fuzzy, you can get a 'GT' that is bigger than some CUTs. All the features of a CUT can be found on some GT's.

One thing I am certain of though, is that HP has nothing to do with it, for you can get a LT which has more HP that a CUT.

Mark777

Difference between an LT and a GT is definitely in the gearbox. LTs have weak trans with 3/4" axle (occasionally 1"), GTs are in the 1" and up category, usually cast iron, high and low ratio etc.....

Think that's a very accurate description Mith. Maybe another but hardly significant difference is the GT's are a little better suited for towing light ground engaging equipment and traverse inclines better.

IMO, the difference between a GT and a CUT is the 3PH and 1 3/8" PTO for implements rated at 540 RPM. Then standard equipped tractors (even small ones) start distancing themselves with a diesel engine, 6/2 with hi/lo range transmission (or power/shuttle shift), 2WD-4WD and engine driven (crank/camshaft) stationary hydraulic pumps.

What'cha think?

Mith

Well, there are a couple of different PTO styles, some on CUTs, some on GTs. Some Massey GTs came with a PTO shaft which is very similar to the 22mm one on a Kubota B6000.
Then some of the Satoh(?) CUTs were petrol engines, and lots of GTs with diesel engines. The JD455 has a diesel, a standard PTO and a 3ph, but I would consider it a GT.

Mark777

Dealers for John Deere list the JD455 as a lawn tractor. John Deere general specifications (and tractordata.com) don't list the 455 in their tractors list. So, I guess we're back to that gray area of what is what :).

Kind of like the Ford 8N that is most often listed as a Utility tractor...but actually has 23.16 Horsepower. Less than many SCUTS and most all CUTS. ;).....

xPosTech

So where would the CJ2 fit in? After WWII Willys had fit ups for plows, discs, etc. I guess they ran the PTO to the back - the transfer cases I've seen were all forward facing for winches. I remember the magazine ads with the little jeep out there plowing away.:whistle:

Don't think I ever saw a plow on Uncle Tom Cahill's Wagoneer, though.:mrgreen:

Merry Christmas
Ted

oldron

Well that makes it perfectly clear ! I think I will just keep on calling them all tractors from the two wheelers to the big guys.:mrgreen:

olcowhand

In my opinion, if you pull ground engaging equipment, it's a garden tractor whether 1, 2, 3, or 4 wheels and irregardless of size. I don't believe the Jeeps would qualify as a tractor though as they are a licensed road vehicle.