Not Everyone Here is Rich!!!

Dougster

Old Member
Here is a panarama view of "Dougster Swamp" pieced together from 5 separate photos sweeping left to right taken in the spring of 2006 from a second story window of my house. This was intended as a planning photo for the "backyard reclamation" project that eventually led me to consider buying a compact tractor (after the lowest landscape contractor's cost estimate for the initial work we wanted was ~$11,000.00).

But as many of you already know, circumstances changed radically for me in mid- to late-2006. Under increasing evidence of an impending layoff, I bought a tractor... but bought much bigger than I needed for this one project with the thoughts that: a) We could use the tractor to improve raw land we were considering buying elsewhere, and b) I could possibly make a part-time/post-layoff business out of it with the right machine. The layoff did happen very soon after... and the rest is history.

For several reasons, the "backyard reclamation" project never really got started as originally envisioned. I mean... it did, but it didn't. Weather, health, post-layoff finances and business start-up activities and obligations never really cooperated... and some of the necessary equipment didn't arrive until mid-summer 2007... and then some turned out to be unusable.

With much better luck and better business planning, I would hope to post an "after" picture by the fall of 2008.

Dougster

Attachments

• Panarama.jpg
    Panarama.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 502

GreenMtns

Here is a panarama view of "Dougster Swamp" pieced together from 5 separate photos sweeping left to right taken in the spring of 2006 from a second story window of my house. This was intended as a planning photo for the "backyard reclamation" project that eventually led me to consider buying a compact tractor (after the lowest landscape contractor's cost estimate for the initial work we wanted was ~$11,000.00).

But as many of you already know, circumstances changed radically for me in mid- to late-2006. Under increasing evidence of an impending layoff, I bought a tractor... but bought much bigger than I needed for this one project with the thoughts that: a) We could use the tractor to improve raw land we were considering buying elsewhere, and b) I could possibly make a part-time/post-layoff business out of it with the right machine. The layoff did happen very soon after... and the rest is history.

For several reasons, the "backyard reclamation" project never really got started as originally envisioned. I mean... it did, but it didn't. Weather, health, post-layoff finances and business start-up activities and obligations never really cooperated... and some of the necessary equipment didn't arrive until mid-summer 2007... and then some turned out to be unusable.

With much better luck and better business planning, I would hope to post an "after" picture by the fall of 2008.

Dougster

I like it. A lot to work with there. Given a good tractor and some time you will have a blast. Did you get a backhoe with the tractor? It looks like you are going to need one for all those stumps.

On the other hand, I had one with my Kioti's but found I did not use it enough to justify the cost of replacing it ($8000.00) so I will be renting a mini excavator when I need to dig out stumps.

Dougster

Old Member
I like it. A lot to work with there. Given a good tractor and some time you will have a blast. Did you get a backhoe with the tractor? It looks like you are going to need one for all those stumps.

On the other hand, I had one with my Kioti's but found I did not use it enough to justify the cost of replacing it ($8000.00) so I will be renting a mini excavator when I need to dig out stumps.
Oh yes. My Mahindra 4110 is fitted with a Bradco 509 backhoe. :thumb:

One of the main reasons for putting together that panorama view was to help us decide which trees to remove and which ones to keep. The original (2006) plan called for several of the large trees and all of the small trees to be removed... but that plan also called for a full perimeter stockade-type fence which I can no longer afford. Without the fence, we would lose all of our privacy... not a good thing. The new plan calls for keeping more trees near the property lines... and even transplanting trees where there is need. The biggest part of the original project was to be extensive terracing in order to direct natural spring water flow away from the house and toward the back of the property... effectively reversing the current problematic flow pattern. But if I end up stuck here past the spring of 2009 by depressed property values (or runaway business success), I will need good, wide access to some of that "back 40" land for equipment & trailer storage, including the building of a large "tool shed" (wink, wink)! ;)

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Doug, My wife likes your back yard. Does that count for anything?:ohmy: :biggrin:
Well... first off, we refer to it here as "The Swamp"! :eek: I hope she owns a pair of tall, waterproof boots. :(

Second, I figure you'd live here about 6 minutes before you'd figure out that there was nowhere to park your extensive collection of very large toys... and all them funky trees would be down and gone within about the next 4 minutes!!! :eek:

And that would include a 2 minute break for a refreshing sip of coffee. :rolleyes:

Dougster

xPosTech

Hey Doug. That blue tractor you buried is trying to climb back out.:brows: :yum:

Texas has some pretty stringent laws about redirecting natural watersheds when it impacts adjacent landowners.:sad: Of course, in some parts west and south of here water is a primary concern.

We have plenty of water around here.:umbrella: Irrigation involves diking and flooding the whole field.:thumb: We're talking rice, of course. Lots of 'em raise crawfish on the same field.

Ted

Well... first off, we refer to it here as "The Swamp"! :eek: I hope she owns a pair of tall, waterproof boots. :(

Second, I figure you'd live here about 6 minutes before you'd figure out that there was nowhere to park your extensive collection of very large toys... and all them funky trees would be down and gone within about the next 4 minutes!!! :eek:

And that would include a 2 minute break for a refreshing sip of coffee. :rolleyes:

Dougster

After you clear most of the brush...

Use this stuff...
http://www.outsidepride.com/store/catalog/Liquid-Soil-Aerator-p-17903.html

Follow up or combine with above...
http://www.outsidepride.com/store/catalog/Liquid-Soil-Conditioner-p-17888.html

Your SWAMP will be useable...:mrgreen:

Dougster

Old Member
Hey Doug. That blue tractor you buried is trying to climb back out.:brows: :yum:
Contrary to a few PM's and calls I've received... that is definitely NOT Brian's Baby Blue 7520 going down in The Swamp for the very last time! ;) It is just a cheapo tarp covering a few odd 4x8 sheets of plywood. :)
Texas has some pretty stringent laws about redirecting natural watersheds when it impacts adjacent landowners.:sad: Of course, in some parts west and south of here water is a primary concern.
What the water will be doing after the work is completed is probably more legal than what the situation is right now. And Thank God for the fact that none of my land is officially designated or otherwise considered "wetlands" or anything similar. The neighborhood's shady developer paid off everyone in town over 30 years ago to make sure that didn't happen. :thumb:

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
After you clear most of the brush...

Use this stuff...
http://www.outsidepride.com/store/catalog/Liquid-Soil-Aerator-p-17903.html

Follow up or combine with above...
http://www.outsidepride.com/store/catalog/Liquid-Soil-Conditioner-p-17888.html

Your SWAMP will be useable...:mrgreen:
Good info Paul... Thank you! :wave: We've gotten input & info from several sources about how best to turn Dougster Swamp into usable land. These products fit well into the general plan as to how such things are apparently done. :thumb:

Dougster