Howdy from north Texas!

mobilus

I stumbled upon this site, and I think I'll stay awhile!

So, just a word or two about me: I'm a 43 y.o. husband, father of four, grandfather of two. I moved here in my last asssignment in my 20 year career in the Air Force. As a career-long maintainer, I've worked F-16s all over the world. My family and I decided to make this area our home and we bought ten acres and a 3000 sq ft home back in 2000. I hung up my uniform at retirement in June 2004 and was hired to teach F-16 crew chiefs as a civilian in July 2004. For the past year, I have worked as a course developer for the F-22 apprentice-level crew chief course.

In Feb 2007, I bought a Kubota L2800 HST 4WD with FEL, LandPride 5' bush hog, LP 5' finish mower, LP 5' box blade and 6' rake. And I just picked up a set of 48" forks for $100. I need to build the frame for them for the FEL. I weld, so I build anything I can.

I've got a '65 Chevy C-10 and '65 Chevy II Nova that are long-term projects. Not much done to them lately.

Well, that's me.
Mark

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Aboard Mark!

What part of North Texas? I'm from the Wichita Falls area and worked at Sheppard as a civilian contractor in the 1960's.

I have a L3400 and it is great.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to NTT Mark. I'm glad you found us. :thumb:

Your work souonds very interesting. I had a 66 chevelle convertable years ago. If you find a 65 or 66 chevelle down that way that is not goingn for gold give me a shout. Pics of your 65's would be Kewl.

Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

Dougster

Old Member
Welcome Mark... and thank you for your 20 years of service (and continuing civilian service) to this country! :thumb:

Dougster

mobilus

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Jim, I'm working at Sheppard AFB, and live in a little community about ten miles southeast of Wichita Falls called Arrowhead Ranch Estates.

This place has changed a lot since you were here back then. WF has about 120,000 residents, and of course there's all of the surrounding small towns like Burkburnett, Iowa Park, Holliday, etc. The base is still the largest single employer, but the oil field business is getting stronger all the time.

Doc, I'll keep my eyes open for one. A buddy of mine just sold his 69 Chevelle...now he's working on a 63 (I think) Challenger.

Larry, what did you crew?

Dougster, you are very much welcome. I look at the guys in the sandbox now, and think the same thing. We owe them so much...no matter the politics involved. A young SSgt that I've mentored for the past couple of years leaves out for Kuwait this week. It's strange how different you look at it after you've "been there, done that". That sense of duty to God and country is a lot stronger than the media makes it out to be. Especially when that media's focus is Britney Spears' lack of judgment call of the day.

I'll try to post some more pix soon. This is my Nova project with front running gear removed.
Mark

Attachments

• Copy of DSC00338.JPG
    Copy of DSC00338.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 254

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pic Mark.
69 Chevelles are hot. And usually go for big bucks from what I've seen. How much did your firiends go for ...if you don't mind me being nosey.

mobilus

Doc,

I could have kicked him in the teeth for selling it...after all the work he put into it. He built a big block that screamed, and put a decent paint job on it. The interior still had to be done, but it was sweet nevertheless, and streetable.

Oh, he sold the car and an 18' car hauler for $9,000.

Mark

xPosTech

Welcome mobilus:wave:

Those are the deals I hear about after the fact. Looks like the car I almost bought in Beaumont June of '66. Wound up with a '66 Corsa. It was at home at Mt. Laguna AFS. That car loved a mountain road.

The Chevy II was a 327 4 speed. Neat shifter enclosure. Glad I got the Corsa, though, running back and forth between Beaumont and El Cajon.

You'll like it here. Hang around but watch the coffee.:wink:

Ted
MySmilyMug.gif
:shock:

mobilus

Thanks, Ted!

Let's see, you were a grown man in '66...that'd make you...???

My current boss is about ready to retire, and most of his stories start with "...and then I bought this 67 Charger, payment was $72/month and I had to work a second job..."

Anyway, time does fly. My ex-wife bought that Nova for me 20 years ago. When I went to Germany in 89, I built a garage for it on my parent's place in Alabama. Sat there for 17 years until I brought it out here. I'm building a rack and pinion setup now, and have started rebuilding the front suspension and upgrading to disc brakes on the front. Have most of the parts, just lacking the time.

What's up with "the coffee"?

Mark

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What's up with "the coffee"?

I'm not sure what's up with the coffee but Ted and Dougster sure like it. They've been adding the icon manually ... but I thought others might want in on it so I added it to the available smiles.

So, heres some coffee for you Mark. :D
:starbucks::starbucks::starbucks::starbucks:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Jim, I'm working at Sheppard AFB, and live in a little community about ten miles southeast of Wichita Falls called Arrowhead Ranch Estates.

Mark

Thats the place! I was born and raised in Henrietta.

I remember when WF built Lake Arrowhead and when Arrowhead Ranch Estates was started. Do they still have their own volunteer fire department? I knew a guy named Tiny who was on the department.

Jim

I'm not sure what's up with the coffee but Ted and Dougster sure like it. They've been adding the icon manually ... but I thought others might want in on it so I added it to the available smiles.

So, heres some coffee for you Mark. :D

Too funny Doc :yum: :yum: I can't believe that there is now a Starbucks Coffee that Doug can afford. :starbucks: :starbucks: :starbucks: --Ed

Dougster

Old Member

So, heres some coffee for you Mark.
OhMyGawd!!! :eek: This is wonderful!!! :thumb: Thanks Doc!!! :wave:

Let me try some here... :starbucks: :starbucks: :starbucks: :starbucks:

Oh man!!! That is the best!!! :mrgreen:

Dougster

Old Member
Well Doug, and I don't intend to rub it in, but maybe someday you will be able to get yourself some big cups of coffee and then you will have a need to pee.:letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow: Next week right?
Only Jay knows for sure... but last I heard he is expecting a potentially billable storm for me Tuesday->Wednesday of next week. He said it could even be a double-pusher!!! :thumb:

Still, I doubt I will make enough money to buy a Starbucks :starbucks: Coffee after you take into account all of my backed-up & overdue bills. :rolleyes:

Dougster